Add AAV to existing system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Danneedsehelp

Reaction score
I own one condo unit on the fifth floor of a seven floor building. In the kitchen there is a dishwasher sink and garbage disposal. The drain is very slow and backs up into the dishwasher. Took off garbage disposal and ran a 25 foot snake through as well as using liquid plumber and everything appears to be clean. If I fill the sink with water it bubbles as it drains and goes slow but if I turn on the disposal it drains normally. With my limited knowledge this leads me to believe that there is a vent issue. I don't have access to the vents as they are in the common part of the building.
My question: Can I simply add an AAV or a studor vent right at the fixture, underneath the sink, to help compensate for a potentially blocked vent pipe? If so is there a specific one to use?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Slow drains are NEVER the result of a venting issue unless the fixture drains into a closed container. What you will find is either an obstruction in the drain or a dip or sag in the drain. Most home quality snakes won't do a decent job of clearing a drain either.

OffshorePlumber

Reaction score
Drain is still partially clogged.

It'll drain just fine without a vent, venting systems are designed to maintain trap seals on fixtures.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even if it were a blocked vent, and AAV would be useless in that situation. They allow air in AFTER drainage occurs NOT while, or before, it is draining. "Having" a snake is not the same as using it properly. You are between two other units, so if it were a systemic problem, needing a 25' snake, either the upper one would overflow your sink, or yours would overflow the lower one. AND, because these sinks are interconnected, pipewise, you could NOT have a venting issue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, in many places, an air gap is required when installing a dishwasher. This would prevent any backup into the DW. A high loop may or may not meet local code, and doesn't always work, especially if it is not installed properly.

In most places, in a multi-family dwelling, it is illegal to do any plumbing or electrical work without a license...messing something up could create problems for many of your neighbors in the building.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks