Accurately measuring threaded iron pipe???

Users who are viewing this thread

figs

Reaction score
How does one accurately measure 1/2" threaded pipe? In other words, is there a rule of thumb that plumbers use to account for thread engagement in fittings?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
measure

There is no "accurate" measurement. We use an arbitrary value, and hope it works on the particular connection we are working on. Mine might be different from another plumber's. Usually, the joint is not so precise that an accurate measurement is necessary. If it is, figure long, and use a bigger wrench to tighten until it fits.

figs

Reaction score
iron pipe measurements

For 1/2" threaded iron pipe, what value do you use to account for thread engagement in fittings?

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"by the booK" the engagement for 1/2" IPS is 4 1/2 hand turns, for an engagement of 0.320 inches, followed by 3 wrench turns.

However, "the book" even says that field threads often do not comply totally with the spec, so there is some amount of "winging it".

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

for 1/2", I figure 1/2" back from the center of the fitting is where the thread will end up. In fact, I use the pipe size as that measurement all the way up to 1 1/2". For 2", I allow 1 3/4" from the center of the fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks