AC Refrigerant lines: Braze or Solder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
When my furnace/AC fails in my rental house (and it will one of these days), I'm contemplating replacing the unit myself.

I've always seen the AC lines brazed. Why aren't they soldered? Can they be?

Thx
Jason

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
The reason they are not soldered with lead solder is that the lead solder causes problems in the system.

You can still use low temp brazing solders and a map torch, however you can't use plumbing solder.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"plumbing solder" hasn't had lead in it for many years. But soft soldering, whether you use lead bearing solder or not, is probably not rated for the pressure of an HVAC system

rzyzzy

Reaction score
You might want to just hire the brazing done. You're supposed to flow a small amount of nitrogen through the lineset while brazing to prevent the pipes from getting black residue inside them - the residue could ruin your compressor. You can cook the valves if you aren't fast with the torch, and if you're too fast, you'll get a leak.

Around here, I've gotten quotes of $200-ish for an hvac guy to braze the lines with nitrogen, vacuum them out (to remove moisture), and check the refrigerant levels. Still a huge savings over letting them do the complete install. Many hvac guys won't want to help you with your install, but you only need one to break ranks....

Last edited:

rickst29

Reaction score
There *is* a solder which works great....

but you will not find it in an orange or blue/white "big box" store. The problems with plumbing solder are: #1, the joints are too weak; and #2, it can't handle the stresses and vibration which A/C lines experience.

Stay-Brite-8, however, does a fantastic job, and it also begins to flow at an extremely low temperature. (That's handy when working with heat-sensitive components like TXV's). It costs a lot, though. Here's the mfgr page: http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/consumables/alloys.asp?id=32

It's best matched up with their "BRIDGIT" Water Soluble Flux, because that product also begins cleaning up the metal at just a little bit above room temperature. Be careful to avoid burning the flux-- that black gunk isn't good for compressors, either. They make a 95/5 formula too, but I'd pay the extra bucks to use the stronger 92/8 product. If you won't be using a lot of it, people sell partial-spool chunks on **** for much less than the cost of a full Spool from your HVAC supply house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
solder

#3 is that the residual flux will contaminate the compressor oil. NO ONE here purges with Nitrogen, unless it is for a medical gas installation.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
hj;231347. NO ONE here purges with Nitrogen said:
Probably true for a wide range of folks working on HVAC equipment now., even though the nitrogen purge is considered a "best practice".

After Jan. 1, 2010 ( when all new equipment will be R-410) there will be an uptick in sales of purging rigs, or a lot of guys will be destroying brand new units! The manufacturers are quite insistent the the purge is MANDATORY when working with R410.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks