A flow meter for tub usage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To whom it may concern,
My name is Howard and I am a student working on a project development assignment. We are trying to develop a product that needs to use a flow meter to measure the flow rate coming from a bathtub. It is basically an automated bathtub, but it needs to know the flow rate in order to automate the water for the person who needs to take a bath/shower. My question is if you know if a magnetic flow meter or any flow meter of any kind would be suitable for this type of application.
Is there room for such a device to be installed on piping? Are there other smaller flow meter you could suggest for this application?
Thank you, and looking for your reply.
Howard

UTA Student

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are devices available. google under flow meter, and industrial process control

There is room under a tub or behind the wall for this stuff, but it will need access for maintenance and repair, so now you have an issue with conventional construction procedures. You will certainly have a n issue with the cost of all this!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
meter

By definition this meter would have to be installed between the shower control valve and the shower head, which means it would have to be fairly small or involve convoluted piping to accomdate a larger device. There are many inline meters which use trasducers to measure the flow, thus not impeding it.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Ah ha!! This is a trick question and both of you failed. "Guest" stated that he had to measure the flow rate coming from a bathtub, and you both gave him answers to measure volume only, and one of you suggested a device specifically to measure the supply.

Since the drain is open to the atmosphere and could be clear water I suggest that Mr. Guest use a Parshall flume.

j/k :D

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
You're right that it IS a trick question although I don't think it was really meant as one. At any rate (pun intended), I would likely use a paddle wheel flowmeter, regardless of whether it was on the supply or drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks