a few questions about my well

Users who are viewing this thread

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of liners either, but I would rather see a liner put in than doing nothing at the well at all. you have to take measures to protect the pump and lines from sediment. Ideally the well driller will come in and rectify the problem. Sediment in the well will ruin pumps, clog lines, check valves, and well tanks along with pressure switches and if un-checked, make it's way into the plumbing system with disastrous results.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
First off the GE filter was a whole house filter that the local well supplier set me up with it was just used for sediment control. I couldn't tell you the micron size. and i did take it out to find very little improvement if not my imagination.

I have to find the paper work on the pump to tell you the gpm it can flow hopfully I can post it later.

and the pipe from the well to the house is 3/4 again what the local well supplier set me up with.
Has the water even been discolored? If not then remove the cartridge because there is no sense in filtering visibly clear water. That will help the flow some.

If the water has been discolored, and it is rust caused by iron, then the 3/4" line could be loaded up with rust and that blocks flow.

The well driller should have known that 3/4" for that distance was not a good choice. What type of material is the 3/4"? If it is PVC it will have a coupler every 10' or 20' which causes pressure losses much higher than one continuous piece of PE pipe. He should have told you to use at least 1" PE and no disposable cartridge filter.

Another thing is the pump, when the two houses are using water flow to both will be reduced unless the pump's gpm rating is sized or sufficient for that peak demand.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Another thing is the pump, when the two houses are using water flow to both will be reduced unless the pump's gpm rating is sized or sufficient for that peak demand.

I don't think both houses are using the same well or pump. The OP just said the well was on the neighbors property, but if they are indeed sharing the pump then the system needs serious re-work

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I'm not a big fan of liners either, but I would rather see a liner put in than doing nothing at the well at all. you have to take measures to protect the pump and lines from sediment. Ideally the well driller will come in and rectify the problem. Sediment in the well will ruin pumps, clog lines, check valves, and well tanks along with pressure switches and if un-checked, make it's way into the plumbing system with disastrous results.
I see liners as a low cost high profit item that can be marketed with a 'feel good' easy choice thing by drillers. They are on site and already set up in most cases.

If they developed wells today as drillers did up until 20-25 years ago, there wouldn't be a need for most liners.

Today it's not only drillers that maximize profit to the tenth of a penny but the poor quality well shows up much sooner than other industries low quality stuff does. And a poor quality well is much more expensive to 'fix' after the fact. Look how many posts there are in forums concerning gray "sediment" and the person being told to "pump it off until it clears" with their own pump and electric because the driller didn't take the time to bail or air lift enough to develop the well properly when the well was drilled.

I'd like to hear what Porky thinks of that.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well, I agree with you about properly developing the well. A bad well is forever going to be a problem one way or another. I don't see a lot of unscrupulous drillers in my area. There are 3 major companies and they all seem to do a pretty good job.

dimambro2

Reaction score
Has the water even been discolored? If not then remove the cartridge because there is no sense in filtering visibly clear water. That will help the flow some.

If the water has been discolored, and it is rust caused by iron, then the 3/4" line could be loaded up with rust and that blocks flow.

The well driller should have known that 3/4" for that distance was not a good choice. What type of material is the 3/4"? If it is PVC it will have a coupler every 10' or 20' which causes pressure losses much higher than one continuous piece of PE pipe. He should have told you to use at least 1" PE and no disposable cartridge filter.

the pipe is 3/4 PE the run isn't quite 300' more around the 250 mark I looked at the roll thats is left and there is a good bit left. there isnt any rust just a little gray sediment(haven't had any in a long time) and to clear a up the issue about the well location it is just on the neighbors property not shared.(when hiring the former well driller meet with him gave him a copy of the property survey was staked and gave him a copy of the property plans i.e. location of house and septic all sited by a civil engineer. asked it he had an questions on locations of anything he told me "NO" asked again before leaving to make sure he was certain of property lines. he assured me that everything was clear. still drilled the well 5' on to the neighbors property.) well other then changing out the pipe from the well to the house is there anything else that can be done?

thanks
Chris

welldriller

Reaction score
Liner...in a screened well?? Who here drills water wells? Maybe in a rock bored well. A liner in a screened well wont solve the problem and will just cut off the water unless the screen is broken somewhere. Even then it's not practical. A screened well if not developed will produce sand. A properly sized well screen and good developing should produce sand free water. Screened wells, pumped sand free at a high rate will pump sand free at a low rate. Develop, develop, and develop more....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks