A couple of culligan super s questions

Users who are viewing this thread

jreed

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding my Culligan Super S. The first is concerning the bypass. My filter was leaking so I was going to put it on bypass. I flipped the valve to bypass and got distracted and didnt unplug the unit until about a day later when I realized it. Does this damage it?

Second question, the silver plate on top is what is leaking. The gasket is slightly damaged. Is there a source online for such a part?

Lastly, I was told the super s is out of production and parts are not available....true?

Concerning rebed material, I was quoted over $450 for 1.5cu feet of material. Is there an online source for this?

Bannerman

Reaction score
jreed,

Shutting of the bypass without unplugging should not cause damage. If the unit had initiated a backwash/recharge while the bypass was closed, the backwash/recharge water could not flow through so no backwash/recharge would have occurred. Once you place the unit back online, a suggestion is to initiate a recharge right away.

Culligan is a propitiatory brand so their parts are often only available through their dealer network. A few of the participants here may be of assistance and sometimes, you can 'get lucky' finding parts on E_B_A_Y. Softener Parts . com may also be of assistance, possibly with alternate media.

In support of Reach's question, what is your water condition is that this filter is intended to treat?

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Now may be a good time to buy a new one that YOU can work on and get repair parts for.

Good Luck.

jreed

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! This filter is for iron and sulfer.

Just curious, would anyone be able to explain the regeneration for the Super S? When I regenerate, the compressor briefly runs, then backwashes. After teh backwash it seems to go quite for several minutes, then the compressor runs again brielfy. Are there multiple phases?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Culligan Super S is the Culligan form of the Micro Dine of years gone by, the WaterSoft Provetor line...
The compressor is putting air back into the top of the tank so the oxidation of iron and sulfur and the media then removes the oxidized iron and sulfur.

Rjh2o

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding my Culligan Super S. The first is concerning the bypass. My filter was leaking so I was going to put it on bypass. I flipped the valve to bypass and got distracted and didnt unplug the unit until about a day later when I realized it. Does this damage it?

Second question, the silver plate on top is what is leaking. The gasket is slightly damaged. Is there a source online for such a part?

Lastly, I was told the super s is out of production and parts are not available....true?

Concerning rebed material, I was quoted over $450 for 1.5cu feet of material. Is there an online source for this?

This unit is for Iron and H2S removal. CIM Media is simply Centaur carbon (CIM is the culligan brand) Culsan is their under bedding (gravel) . You can get Centaur at many on-line suppliers and gravel underbedding. When u re-bed the tank make sure you clean the distributor tube also before re-bedding. However it may be very difficult to re-bed this unit (depending on the age) older Super S have a proprietary tank that have a separate inlet and outlet as opposed to new styles which are center opening tanks. Any Culligan dealer should have the parts to rebuild this valve and the gaskets you need. There is a retrofit kit for the seal pack that has a metal bracket for the seal pack shaft to ride in to prevent twisting of the shaft and breaking. I suggest if you are going to re-bed the tank then rebuild the valve also as they get very packed with oxidized iron, especially if you have not been diligent about regenerating with chlorine.
Culligan changes their models FREQUENTLY so many parts are not available for units that are 10 years old or more. It may be more cost effective to look at replacing it with a Clack Air Induction Birm tank!
RJH2O

MelissaH

Reaction score
I know this is about 6 months late, but I wanted to share a website I found that has Culligan parts lists that the original poster of the thread, and any others who find this, may find useful. The parts lists include the catalogue numbers of the parts should you need to order them from Culligan.

http://www.culliganwater.com/residential/resources/timers_manuals

It may be cheaper to get a new softener or filter if you have an old one, but some of the parts lists on the website above include parts for really old Culligan softeners and filters, like this bypass parts lists for Culligan equipmetn from 1971-1990:

http://www.culliganwater.com/sites/default/files/pdf/bypass_parts.pdf

Hope this helps someone!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks