A/C Duct Locations

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by seaneys, Aug 5, 2007.

1. seaneys

seaneys New Member

Hello,

We're doing an addition to our 1911 bungalow with hydronic heat. I have not included A/C in the plans, but would like to put in the duct work while the walls are open. We do not have any duct work in our house a the present time (radiators).

Are there any books or guidelines for duct locations and sizing? It is a one story house (main floor and basement). I'd love to just put the A/C supply and return ducts in ceiling later.

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'd consider the smaller, high-velocity ducts. This will limit you to an air handler designed for that, but in a retrofit, it makes some sense. The duct work is very small and the outlets unobtrusive.

You'd need to either do or have done a heat load analysis which will tell you the size of the a/c unit you need and how many CU FT/min of air movement you need as well. Then you can have the ducts sized.
  3. River Rat

River Rat New Member

A long with that you want your vents to be on the ciling or high on the walls.