9 inch rough in toilet needed... or ideas.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dhornick, Oct 18, 2007.

1. dhornick

dhornick New Member

Help. I’ve created myself quite a mess. We’re remodeling a down stairs bathroom. I removed what was a fine working no problem toilet with the thoughts that if we’re remodeling we might as well do it right and do it all. However, now I find out there are different rough in toilet sizes that come standard in 10, 12 and 14 inches. As best as I can tell mine is 9 and maybe 9.5 if I really stretch it. I have called all major plumbing supply houses in the area and even the manufactures but no one evidently makes a 9 inch rough in toilet.
    The all say a 10 inch might work but â€might†is an awful expensive word to bank on. Any one have any ideas? :confused:
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Change the drain so that you have a 12" rough in then virtually any toilet will fit.
  3. MG

MG New Member

You are measuring from the center of the drain to the wall, correct?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Measure exactly how far it is from the mounting bolts to the finished wall. That is your rough-in dimmension. then, check the manufacturer's spec sheets for any toilets you are interested in. They will show how much gap there is between the toilet and the wall when installed on a standard rough-in. That is your leaway. Note, go to the wall, not the baseboard.

Move the drain, and this problem goes away.
  5. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

Most 10" rough in toilets will have a gap between the wall and the back of the tank. On most toilets it is 3/4", so if you push a 10" up against the wall you can go as close of 9-1/4".
  6. dhornick

dhornick New Member

Yes, correct.
  7. dhornick

dhornick New Member

Moving the drain is not an option.
  8. dhornick

dhornick New Member

Thanks Peanut9199, this is what I'm leaning towards trying and really really hoping it works. After all there was a working toilet there before so something has to work.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007