5600SXT or 7000SXT question

Users who are viewing this thread

sabre

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been reading this section over the last couple of days. I was going to go with the 5600SXT, but at same price seems like the 7000SXT is a step up - should these still be an option at end of life?

Family of 6 with 3 baths. We are on well water in CT. Lots of wash, outside bypasses soft water. Replacing an older Culligan softener. I will be installing myself. House has 3/4" copper, but right at softener expands to 1" into the Culligan (does this impact pressure)?

Chloride 6
Iron ND
Hardness 9 GPG

What do you all think? 40k grain? And is it best to have a gravel bed? Assume 8% resin is fine. Does jacket cut down on molding? Get square or round brine tank? Picture of current connection attached.

Thanks folks,
Tim

Attachments

• watersoftold.jpg
    watersoftold.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to go up to a 1.5 cubic ft "48000 grain" which you will set up to give 30000 grains of softening with a lot less salt.

The parts for the 7000 SXT will be available for at least 5 years, and may well be available longer. However 5 years is not long, and even 10 years is not long in my opinion. Heck, you would usually get 10 years out of a cabinet softener from Lowes.

I don't understand the worry about the softener ports being larger than your 3/4 inch pipe, but that is certainly not a problem.

sabre

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. I did not think the 1" pipes would be a worry, as that is how it is now. But wondered if the 5600 or 7000 would be better with water pressure in this setup.

Sounds like 7000SXT w/ 48k grain. Should i worry about this system being too big? I have heard about buildup in the resin tank, but setting at 30k should take care of this? with goal of ~7 days to regeneration? Should i make sure there is a gravel base? If so, ask dealer to send, or can i get local? Sorry for all the Qs.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
With your 3/4 inch pipes, a 5600SXT softner will not be a problem for pressure.

1.5 cuft will regen about once per week. You don't have iron, so a longer period should not be a problem.

Gravel is better. I am not a pro. I don't know the best way to shop for gravel.

sabre

Reaction score
Thank you again. Just to be clear, you think a 7000SXT would be a better option than 5600SXT?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Looks like you would go the 5600 given the 7000 is at end of life.
While the 7000 has higher flow capacity to support much larger softeners than the 5600, the 5600SXT would be quite appropriate for the 1.5 cuft softener you are considering.

I don't understand the references to 'end of life'. The 7000 maybe near the end of production but that does not signify end of life. The 7000 valves sold today will continue to operate for many years to come and with the popularity of that valve, I will assume repair parts will be stockpiled by distributors once Fleck announces parts availability is to be discontinued.

When GM announced the Firebird was being discontinued, I do not believe they had any problems selling the remaining vehicles.

sabre

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to say no longer will be sold/produced.

I see how both the 5600 and 7000 can work for me. I am just wondering why not go for the 7000SXT if they are the same price and the 7000 has some benefits (ie, uses soft water in brine tank) over the 5600 (life of product considerations aside)? Technical/setup questions that I am too novice to understand perhaps?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am just wondering why not go for the 7000SXT if they are the same price and the 7000 has some benefits (ie, uses soft water in brine tank) over the 5600 (life of product considerations aside)? Technical/setup questions that I am too novice to understand perhaps?
You understand well.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would recommend the 7000. Even though it is nearing end of life, the OEMs' that purchase from Fleck will be able to buy virtually unlimited numbers of parts for the next 5 years, and that does not mean the parts will be discontinued, just the valve. The guarantee is that parts will be manufactured for 5 more years. Many of the parts are used in other valves and when the 5 years comes near, the OEM's typically buy massive quantities of parts to keep them inventoried for the next decade. We ran out of Fleck 3600 parts a few years ago, this is probably 20 years past its discontinuation, and we still know other OEM's that have some pistons and other parts.

The powerhead is bulletproof and rarely needs repairing. Same for the board. Just the seals, spacers, brine valve need to be rebuilt. The brine valve is used on the 5810/5812. same for the injection system, clips, many O-rings, meter turbine etc.

sabre

Reaction score
ok, thank you. I am willing to take a risk but when you say those items "need to be rebuilt" do you mean in every situation, or those are the items that might fail over say 10 years or so?

Reach4

Reaction score
The powerhead is bulletproof and rarely needs repairing. Same for the board. Just the seals, spacers, brine valve need to be rebuilt.
Is the piston a common part to need replacing, or is that just when sand gets passed into the softener?

Is the 5600SXT more failure-prone?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
All modern Fleck valves and Clack valves use a piston/seal-spacer design. These are moving parts that do wear out over time. Rebuilding Is quite easy. It is recommended that they be replaced at the same time. This can be as little as every 20 years. The 5600SXT and 7000 tend to be bulletproof. The 5600SXT has a weaker powerhead that has more problems than the 7000, that being said, the 5600SXT powerhead is amazingly strong, its just that the 7000 is stronger.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks