43v in circuit when breaker switched off

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks to the wonders of online, the Fluke 117 is here.

With the Fluke set to "Auto-V LoZ" (with 3K ohm anti-ghost resistor):

Both circuits Off
B+W 0.0 V
R+W 0.0 V
B+R 0.0 V
Multitester not touching any wires: 0.0 mV

Only # 3 On
B+W 0.1 V
R+W 119.5 V
B+R 0.3 V

Only #13 On
B+W 120.1 V
R+W 0.2 V
B+R 0.2 V

Both #3 and #13 On
B+W 120.1 V
R+W 119.7 V
B+R 239.9 V

Note that the Fluke does not show mV in this mode but 0.1 to 0.2 V = 100 mV to 200 mV, which is in line with yesterday's tests with the Radio Shack meter and the resistor.

With the Fluke set to AC Volts (no anti-ghost resistor):

Both circuits Off
B+W 7.19 V
R+W 0.037 V
B+R 0.558 V
Multitester not touching any wires: 0.0 V (but as high as 0.130 V when near my laptop)

Only # 3 On
B+W 36.69 V
R+W 119.3 V
B+R 72.4 V

Only #13 On
B+W 121.0 V
R+W 45.85 V
B+R 64.93 V

Both #3 and #13 On
B+W 120.2 V
R+W 119.9 V
B+R 240.0 V

So yeah, the Fluke can see the ghost voltage when it's not compensating for it.

If this calculator is correct, it's 47 micro-amps or 0.047 mA. To get up to 5 mA, I'd have to have 16.5 V across 3300 ohms (yesterday's resistor) or 15 V across 3000 ohms (Fluke's resistor). So about 75-100 times more amps than the "dead" circuit is carrying. Am I checking that correctly?

Where exactly are you measuring at. ?

Did you disconnect the Neutral wire that was connected to a breaker ? Where does it go ?

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

SDmark

Reaction score
You are correct, and I was wrong.
Those pesky decimal points ;). I will try to remember to test this again after a good rain. Would be interesting to see if there is more than ghost voltage.
Where exactly are you measuring at. ?
At the first junction box after the panel. Same as shown in post #27.
Did you disconnect the Neutral wire that was connected to a breaker ? Where does it go ?
Yes I did. The white was on one breaker and the black on another. Both breakers were turned off. Both wires are now disconnected and capped. I don't know where that cable goes; maybe I'll find out when I replace the subpanel.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the only time white should be on a breaker is if it is a double, ganged breaker, supplying 240vac. Well, a gfci breaker may as well.

DonL

Reaction score
At the first junction box after the panel. Same as shown in post #27.

That Box has neutral connected to another wire going to ground. What is that all about ?

Is that the 240V stove outlet ? What breaker is it on ?

I am confused as hell, Just like you. :eek: You should not have a wire in your breaker box that you do not know where it goes. If you do not know, Find out or get a electrician.

Good Luck. Use your PPE.

Last edited:

SDmark

Reaction score
the only time white should be on a breaker is if it is a double, ganged breaker, supplying 240vac
On a 240 ganged breaker, it should be black and black or black and red, right? White still goes to the neutral buss bar.
That Box has neutral connected to another wire going to ground.
I don't follow. "That box" (the photo in post 27) has two red, two black, and two white wires. The wire nuts are off and the wires are separated so I can test voltage without load. There is no ground in the box.
Is that the 240V stove outlet ? What breaker is it on ?
See post #1.
I am confused as hell, Just like you.
I'm not confused, but it's easier to follow if you live here. ;)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some 240vac circuits do NOT need a neutral, so, if you use a x/2 cable, both leads would be on the breaker. If it is something that needs neutral, then, yes, you should not have white on the breaker. And, if you do, it should be marked at each end as being a hot with tape or marker. An example of something that does not use a neutral is an EVSE used to charge an EV when it is what is called a level 2 device (i.e., 240vac). I have my radial arm saw and wood planer wired for 240vac, and there is no neutral in the plug or socket, either.

DonL

Reaction score
I don't follow. "That box" (the photo in post 27) has two red, two black, and two white wires. The wire nuts are off and the wires are separated so I can test voltage without load. There is no ground in the box.

My mistake. The picture looked like the wires were connect to the electrical box.

Carry On.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks