3rd Floor Bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by R3Improvements, Sep 21, 2009.

1. R3Improvements

R3Improvements DIY Junior Member

I'm remodeling my 3rd floor bathroom. In order to maximize my bathroom, I would like to put a 90 degree elbow in my existing 4" cast iron plumbing stack (it currently runs straight through the middle of the bathroom and exits the roof immediately above the bathroom), run about 3 feet of horizontal pvc at a 1/4" pitch, and then put another 90 degree elbow in and vent it through the roof.

In the 3 foot PVC section mentioned above (horizontal PVC with 1/4" pitch) I would like to tie in the toilet drain pipe. I could vent the toilet as well.

Is this against code?

I apologize, I posted a similar question yesterday, but I'm not sure I was clear in what I was trying to do.

2. seaofnames

seaofnames DIY Senior Member

Boilermaker
    Dont use the vent from the lower floors to act as a drain for the toilet, or anything for that matter.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. R3Improvements

THe house only has one vertical Waste and Vent Stack. This is the stack/Vent I'm proposing putting the 90 degree elbow in. Is this still a problem?

Thanks for your quick response and help.

5. seaofnames

seaofnames DIY Senior Member

Boilermaker
    Check code in your area for requirements of how many fixtures you can drain into one stack.

6. R3Improvements

Good advice on checking with local code. If they say it's okay to have 3 baths going into one stack, do you think its okay to do what I origally proposed above?

THanks for all your help. THis website is pretty amazing.

7. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Caretaker
    That configuration is pretty common here, in older buildings.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no". The whole thing has to be straight up & down, no offsets or elbows of any kind, for it to work properly.

If you think about it for a couple minutes, I'm sure you can see why...? :eek:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  8. jdgoodman

jdgoodman Journeyman Plumber

Plumber
    You can not drain a fixture on one floor into the vent of another fixture on the floor below. The toilet on the bottom level is most likley re-vented but the one on the main level is not. I have seen what you want to do done in many homes and it works fine but it is not to code.