3rd FL bathroom accident

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by tbankhead, May 12, 2009.

1. tbankhead

tbankhead New Member

I recently purchased a house with a 3rd floor toilet that had a slow leak. As such, we had shut off the water to it as we don't use that floor of the house very often.

Today, I decided to take a closer look at it since I had finished some other more important projects. The leak was coming from the supply line where it meets the tank. Without thinking, I began to tighten the connection when the supply line broke loose.

Brief chaos ensued and I was able to turn off the water. I grabbed a bunch of bath towels and mopped up as much water as possible. Unfortunately, enough water was released that there is some slight dripping down to the 2nd floor. I have opened windows and placed a fan and dehumidifier in the bathroom.

My question is, will the house be ok drying out from that much water using the fan and dehumidifier? If not, what is my next step?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It should be okay...sustained dampness causes problems; a single dowsing that didn't soak everything might cause some paint damage, but probably won't make any other long-term problem.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I agree! :cool:
  4. tbankhead

tbankhead New Member

Just what I was hoping to hear, thanks so much guys!
  5. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Three out of five plumbers agree.. there is no harm with a short term soaking.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If the ceiling below got wet, then after it dries out, it may show a brownish stain. Kilz or Bin123 will fix that.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If you don't use kilz or binz the stain will bleed through the new paint.
  8. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Sounds like you were tightening a flood safe supply.

[​IMG]
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

line

Floodsafes break at the stop, not at the tank. he had a supply with a cracked ballcock connection and tightening it finished it off, making it a broken ballcock connection.
  10. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

11. kordts

kordts In the Trades

My 3rd floor bathroom accidents are a little different than this kind.