3" toilet drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

billyboy

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I'm being a little OCD by wanting to test a toilet's flush before I install the tile in a remodelled bathroom. The issue is a 3" drain line and while I have read that a 3" drain line has a hydraulic advantage vs a 4" line, my worst nightmare would be to complete the tiling only to find that the toilet doesnt flush satisfactorily because of the 3" installation.

While remodelling an 80 year old upstair bathroom, I have relocated the toilet @ 10 feet from its original location in order to accomodate a double vanity.

My plumber installed a 3" ID PVC line that begins with a 3" 90 deg. closet bend that drains into a 3" line that runs @ 3ft. from the front of the toilet location. This line then makes a right hand turn via a 90 deg. elbow and then runs @ 8 feet to the original 4" cast iron stack @ wall. The drop is @ 1/8" to 1/4" per foot.

Do I need to temporarily install a toilet to check the flow before I do my tiling?

I haven't purchased a toilet yet (althought I have Kohler Low Boy type on hand) and am very glad that I have found Terry Love's web sit because my plumber recommended that I purchase a Kholer Wellworth because "he knew how to adjust it for max. flush.." I now intend to purchase a Toto Drake thanks to the comment posted here.

Thanks!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The 3" piping is used as a standard. Its unlikely you will have any problems with the 3" line . The hole on the bottom of your toilet is only a maximum 2 1/2" in diameter. If it passes your yoilet , it will probably pass your pipe.

The only issue that I may have , is the 90 further down the line, although in most states it is to code. (Thats just a personal preference on my part. I like to use 2 - 45's to make the bend).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
3"

The majority of houses here, unless they have 4 or more toilets in them, have a 3" pipe all the way to the street connection, so your toilet will not have any problems, assuming the pipe was installed properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks