3 New Toilets have Hairline Cracks at the Bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

itchibahn

Reaction score
I just purchased 3 new Aquasource Dual Flush toilet, and during inspection, I've found cracks at the bottom on all three units. I'm not sure if it's something to be concerned with, I just don't want to install it and have to remove it again if it leaked.

The hairline cracks are very small but noticeable. I've attached photos. The hairline cracks are at the bottom towards the back. Do you think these are normal? Should I return them? Thanks.

IMG_0068.jpgIMG_0069.jpgIMG_0070.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think that brand is exclusive at the blue box. Although it has never been "proved" in Judge Wapner's courtroom, it is widely suspected by many plumbers that toilets from the box stores, whether they be brand name or house brand, are of lesser quality, or specifically lesser quality CONTROL, than products from a regular supply house. In any event, they should have a no-questions-asked return policy, but you are out your time.

itchibahn

Reaction score
Just bought them today from Lowe's. The third one doesn't seem too bad, looks just the surface crack, I may go ahead and install it. The other two, I'll take them back to Lowe's. I called them and they just happened to have two remaining.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When buying toilets from the Big Box Stores, it is wise to unpack them and inspect them very carefully before buying them. This won't guarantee there won't be a hidden flaw, but lots of bad ones can be found if you look. These stores are noted for selling "builder grade", aka Cheap Junk toilets as well as factory rejects they get for cheap from the manufacturers. This is why you will not find Toto toilets in these stores. Toto does not sell toilets that do not pass their ridged inspections. I would not install a toilet that had visible cracks. You just need to realize that all toilets are not equal, and even famous old brands are now largely poor quality.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I think that brand is exclusive at the blue box. Although it has never been "proved" in Judge Wapner's courtroom, it is widely suspected by many plumbers that toilets from the box stores, whether they be brand name or house brand, are of lesser quality, or specifically lesser quality CONTROL, than products from a regular supply house. In any event, they should have a no-questions-asked return policy, but you are out your time.

Do you mean "proven"?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He means that even though there are a lot of "apochrypal" stories, no one has ever been allowed to follow the production line for them to prove it one way or the other. I am one of the prime movers of the theory however, based on my customer's experiences. In this case, however, the cracks appear to be outside the waterway area, so should cause no problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks