3/4 pvc to 3/4 cpvc

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Peevee, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Peevee

Peevee New Member

When making a connection at a house from the service line 3/4 pvc to 3/4 cpvc. What kind of solvent do you recommend? I run up on this situation this week. I used cpvc glue and it worked. I was just curious if this was the right choice.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I believe there is a universal solvent for PVC and CPVC. If you do not use the universal, I would be suspect of the connection to the PVC. It may seem to be holding, but then fail in the future. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will respond.
  3. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

What kind of coupling did you use? Those two pipes are not the same size, and I have never seen a way to actually cement them together.
  4. elvisclock

elvisclock New Member

You have to transition with a male pvc adapter to preferbly a brass cpvc female fitting.
  5. kordts

kordts In the Trades

There is a transition solvent for abs to pvc, I haven't seen one for pvc to cpvc. The best way is to glue a pvc male adapter on. Screw a threaded brass ball valve onto it and then screw a cpvc male adpter in the other end.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  6. perrycat

perrycat New Member

I think whenever you transition from one type material to another at least in Virginia, you have to have a mechanical joint.
  7. Lancaster

Lancaster New Member