24vac hum terminal

Users who are viewing this thread

clefhanger

Reaction score
attempting to power the humidifier solenoid

There is a dedicated 24vac terminal on the IFC labeled "hum". It has 4v when the furnace is off and miniscule millivolts when unit is on. I'm not a professional, just a hard core DYI trying to figure out why this terminal is not sending sufficient power. All other hvac components are fully functional... thermostat, AC, and furnace.

What started the troubleshooting process is that the humidifier solenoid was not working. When the humidistat was set high enough for the terminals to contact, the furnace would not turn on. So i would have to turn the humidistat all the way down in order for the furnace to turn on. I don't have any other way of powering the solenoid to test it until I can get power from the terminal on the IFC.

Thank you for your help!
Les
IMG_1568.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Does the humidistat bring 24vac to the terminal or does the terminal bring 24vac to the humidistat to the humidifier to turn it on? It could be the humidistat itself. Disconnect the wire at this terminal and check voltage at the terminal and then the wire? On the inside of the furnace there should be a wiring diagram. If you can take a pic of it and provide model numbers, etc. it would be helpful.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
There is a dedicated 24vac terminal on the IFC labeled "hum". It has 4v when the furnace is off and miniscule millivolts when unit is on. I'm not a professional, just a hard core DYI trying to figure out why this terminal is not sending sufficient power. All other hvac components are fully functional... thermostat, AC, and furnace.

I think you will find that the HUM connection is a Dry Contact. It does not put out 24vac. It just switches ON and OFF, Closed/Open. It can switch DC as well.

If the humidifier solenoid is getting voltage, The Coil may be open. Or you may have a bad connection.

Good Luck.

clefhanger

Reaction score
Well... This is my first foray into an IFC board. But I've figured out after learning what G, W, Y, R mean, that whoever wired this before we moved in put the solenoid common wire onto the "cold" terminal. As soon as I moved it over to the 24v common terminal... voila!!! the solenoid kicked in as it should.

Many thanks for your input!

Les

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Well... This is my first foray into an IFC board. But I've figured out after learning what G, W, Y, R mean, that whoever wired this before we moved in put the solenoid common wire onto the "cold" terminal. As soon as I moved it over to the 24v common terminal... voila!!! the solenoid kicked in as it should.

Many thanks for your input!

Les

That is good.

Nice Job.

Enjoy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks