1.5 male threaded p-trap to 1.25 smooth drain pipe not aligned

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by STEELMA02, Apr 7, 2014.

1. STEELMA02

STEELMA02 New Member

I'm in the midst of a small bathroom redo and replaced the existing vanity with a pedestal, and now my p-trap and drain pipe are not aligned, and i have about 4 inches of vertical to make the connection from the p-trap to the drain pipe, the p-trap has a 1.5 ID male threaded end and the sink drain has 1.25 tailpipe is smooth. homedepot said to use a flex pipe that looks like the old flex straws i loved as a kid. is this the right part?
  2. JerryR

JerryR Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  3. asktom

asktom Member

Those plastic flex tailpieces are Micky Mouse, illegal and tend to collect slime that can stink. They are easy and can adapt to the trap with an 1 1/2 X 1 1/4 reducing washer, which is why the orange box recommended it. I assume you have a galvanized nipple coming out of the wall. If so, the right way is to either change the length of the nipple or take out the nipple and use a trap adapter and a chrome tubular trap, which is more common because with a pedestal it is exposed. If you go with the chrome tubular trap get either 17ga or 20ga, not the 22ga junk.

Were the flex straws you liked plain old flex straws or Flavor Straws?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A picture of what you have may help get you better responses. But, I agree, do not use any of those flexible, accordion drain lines. There are easy ways to convert from 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" tubular pipe.
  5. STEELMA02

STEELMA02 New Member

Thanks all, sorry i haven't been back, i fell to a batch or norovirus. the wife changed her mind on the pedestal and is now going with a vanity, although now the sink drain pipe is a tad further from the wall than it would have been with the pedestal. My plumbing is all 1.5 pvc until the sink drain pipe which is 1.25 pvc. the 1.5 pvc from the wall is to the end of the p-trap is all glued up.

jerryr- i think i'll do what you suggest, i'll cut off the old glued pipe and install new p-trap kit and than cap it with the nibco 1.5 to 1.25 sj adapter for the sink tail pipe connection.

asktom- i agree i was wooried about buildup and smell

i just looked through my phone for a photo but didnt have any, i'll post when i get home from work. thanks all for the help.
  6. STEELMA02

STEELMA02 New Member

20140411_183601[1].jpg 20140411_183653[1].jpg

this is what i currently have from my bathroom wall, and my p-trap has to be relocated further from the wall if i want it to be inline with the sink tailpipe. i was thinking that i cut the existing off and use the pasco 1.5 ram bit to clean out the interior and glue in a longer 1.5 pipe to extend a new p-trap to position needed for the tailpipe, and at the end of the new p-trap i would use a 1.5 to 1.25 hub & sj trap adapter. is this the correct way?
  7. Smooky

Smooky Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  8. STEELMA02

STEELMA02 New Member

Thanks Smooky, to note this all sucks cause i only need to make up a 1/2 inch to get the trap aligned with the drain tailpipe.
  9. STEELMA02

STEELMA02 New Member

DRAIN.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT!, I used a Pasco 1.5in Ram Bit to auger out the inside of the joint i cut and installed new from that point.

thanks all