1.5 male threaded p-trap to 1.25 smooth drain pipe not aligned

Users who are viewing this thread

STEELMA02

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of a small bathroom redo and replaced the existing vanity with a pedestal, and now my p-trap and drain pipe are not aligned, and i have about 4 inches of vertical to make the connection from the p-trap to the drain pipe, the p-trap has a 1.5 ID male threaded end and the sink drain has 1.25 tailpipe is smooth. homedepot said to use a flex pipe that looks like the old flex straws i loved as a kid. is this the right part?

Asktom

Reaction score
Those plastic flex tailpieces are Micky Mouse, illegal and tend to collect slime that can stink. They are easy and can adapt to the trap with an 1 1/2 X 1 1/4 reducing washer, which is why the orange box recommended it. I assume you have a galvanized nipple coming out of the wall. If so, the right way is to either change the length of the nipple or take out the nipple and use a trap adapter and a chrome tubular trap, which is more common because with a pedestal it is exposed. If you go with the chrome tubular trap get either 17ga or 20ga, not the 22ga junk.

Were the flex straws you liked plain old flex straws or Flavor Straws?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picture of what you have may help get you better responses. But, I agree, do not use any of those flexible, accordion drain lines. There are easy ways to convert from 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" tubular pipe.

STEELMA02

Reaction score
Thanks all, sorry i haven't been back, i fell to a batch or norovirus. the wife changed her mind on the pedestal and is now going with a vanity, although now the sink drain pipe is a tad further from the wall than it would have been with the pedestal. My plumbing is all 1.5 pvc until the sink drain pipe which is 1.25 pvc. the 1.5 pvc from the wall is to the end of the p-trap is all glued up.

jerryr- i think i'll do what you suggest, i'll cut off the old glued pipe and install new p-trap kit and than cap it with the nibco 1.5 to 1.25 sj adapter for the sink tail pipe connection.

asktom- i agree i was wooried about buildup and smell

i just looked through my phone for a photo but didnt have any, i'll post when i get home from work. thanks all for the help.

STEELMA02

Reaction score
20140411_183601[1].jpg20140411_183653[1].jpg

this is what i currently have from my bathroom wall, and my p-trap has to be relocated further from the wall if i want it to be inline with the sink tailpipe. i was thinking that i cut the existing off and use the pasco 1.5 ram bit to clean out the interior and glue in a longer 1.5 pipe to extend a new p-trap to position needed for the tailpipe, and at the end of the new p-trap i would use a 1.5 to 1.25 hub & sj trap adapter. is this the correct way?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

STEELMA02

Reaction score
Thanks Smooky, to note this all sucks cause i only need to make up a 1/2 inch to get the trap aligned with the drain tailpipe.

STEELMA02

Reaction score
DRAIN.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT!, I used a Pasco 1.5in Ram Bit to auger out the inside of the joint i cut and installed new from that point.

thanks all

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks