1/2 valve on 3/4 line, 3/4 valve on a 1-1/2" line, etc. like that... Head loss?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by hamlet_jones, Oct 23, 2013.

1. hamlet_jones

hamlet_jones New Member

Howdy,

I tried a search, and engineers toolbox .com, but I couldn't find nuthin.

Is the head loss appreciable for using an undersize valve in a system that's otherwise one size all the way thru?
    Does necking down a little make much difference, or, head loss overall?

My system is 1100 feet, 1-1/2" line all the way thru, except 1" at the make-up places at the ends. I run
    5-10 gpm depending on where the pressure's at during the cycle.

If anybody has a link to a chart for pressure drop or head loss for valves,
    I'm all ears.

Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Head loss is a function of pipe size and velocity. Therefore, since you have a very low velocity, the smaller connections at either end are inconsequential. Now, if you were trying to put out a forest fire, it would be a major restriction/factor.
  3. hamlet_jones

hamlet_jones New Member