Search results

1. steppinthrax

Installing a Sump pit without a french drain?

I reside on the eastern coastline in a two-story brick house with a basement that was constructed in 1986. The soil composition in this area is predominantly silt clay. Although my home lacks a sump pump, there are occasional humidity issues during the summer months, necessitating the continuous...
  2. steppinthrax

Kohler k-737-k-na trickle from two accessories

I think this is standard operation, but I want to double-check. I've completed the plumbing for my shower, connecting a Kohler K-8304-KS-NA Rite-Temp mixing valve to a K-737 diverter. The diverter is set for three-way operation without removing the center plug or spacer. It's connected to a...
  3. steppinthrax

Resin bed cleaning

I currently have a Fleck 5600SXT 48K. I have around 10 - 11 grains of hardness and about .3ppm of iron. I have about 4 people in the household. I've been running a full year now on the same load of salt and for the first time the salt is low enough that I'm seeing water. My concern is since I...
  4. steppinthrax

Fleck 5600SXT running out of water before regen

I currently have a Fleck 5600SXT 48K. I have around 10 - 11 grains of hardness and about .3ppm of iron. I don't have a reserver set in it at all. So it ran for almost month and ran out of water in the middle of the day. I intentionally did this because I wanted to see what happens without a...
  5. steppinthrax

Aldex C-800

Anybody know what type of resin this is. I'm seeing this "free" on craigslist (2 bags) and it looks like good stuff. But, it comes black and is described for industrial use?
  6. steppinthrax

Softener drain line length?

My softener came with about 50' of drain line. This was the polyethylene hard tubing. I ended up having a short run to just a wash sink. I ended up "looping" the excess line and hanging it up on the floor joist temp. It's maybe about 5 or 6 loops. My question is would this looping and...
  7. steppinthrax

The Effects of my "new" soft water

So The biggest thing I've noticed is my dishwasher works much better now. We use clear drinking glasses. After washing them in the dishwasher they used to have a haze on them, not significant. Now they are crystal clear, almost too perfect!!!! I also noticed the inside of the dishwasher is...
  8. steppinthrax

Got an extra Fleck 5600SXT Valve, want to make another system

So I have a 48K grain water softener with a fleck 5600sxt, I do have a 60 micron sediment pre-filter before anything. However I'm thinking I could get a hold of an extra tank and make myself either a sediment filter or a charcoal filter. I'm thinking the charcoal filter would be better since...
  9. steppinthrax

Fleck 5600SXT 48K softener settings

So I got my fleck 5600SXT 48K system and I'm in need of optimal settings. I scrolled through the master menu and have changed a few values. I have placed notes in areas I don't' know, please assist. One thig to note is that I used the HACH 5B hardness test and found my water to be between 10...
  10. steppinthrax

How much salt to keep in the brine tank

I just got my softener setup and I got a good deal on salt from the local hardware store. I went to fill my system and just filled the brine tank all the way to the top with salt. I was later reading and found that most people suggest that the brine tank only be filled 1/2 to 3/4 full. Is...
  11. steppinthrax

Bypass before a Bypass in a new water softener

I'm curious is it necessary to plumb a hard bypass before the fleck stainless steel bypass that comes with a softener. I'm using the bypass below. But I'm seeing a lot of plumbers install a hard bypass with 3 independent ball valves onto hard copper. In my opinion this is a better install...
  12. steppinthrax

Filters before and after the water softener

I have a 152 Micron spin down filter before the water softener. It does a great job taking out any small bits of sand/sediment before entering the water softener. I can change the element to a 60 micron filter if I wanted to. I saw diagrams online about people putting a 5 micron filter AFTER...
  13. steppinthrax

Hamilton Beach Water Softener

I'm looking at this unit online https://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/d/water-softener-system/6507621711.html It's a hamilton beach 1100 48,000 grain softener I did some research and found that this is using an Autotrol 1000i system. It seems that there are not replacement parts available...
  14. steppinthrax

Any advantage of a twin-tank system

I'm looking at a few Rain Soft units that are twin tanks. So they are metered softeners, but they switch to the other tank when regenerating. Is there any advantage to this other than at 2:00am you will have soft water? :D
  15. steppinthrax

Oversized water softener

Guys, What do you lose in getting an oversized water softener, example, getting a 48K grain when you only really need a 33K grain? Do larger water softeners use more water/brine per regeneration? Or does it even out considering they have longer spans between regeneration?
  16. steppinthrax

Cabinet water Softeners v.s. Traditional

Guys, What's the difference between the cabinet water softeners you get from HD, Lowe's, Sears v.s. the two piece models (i.e. culligan, rainsoft etc). Are there quality differences? Are they just harder to work on?
  17. steppinthrax

Need to buy a water softener (extreme DIYer here)

So I have a 3K sq foot home. We've been living in the house for around 6 years now. I live in MD. We have well water. There are 4 ppl in my family (including myself). So anyway, last night I got a water test kid that test pretty much everything. I had no Nitrates, Nitrites, Chlorine, Lead...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks