Search results

1. Mattdub1

Issues with hose vacuum breaker assembly

Hi all, What is supposed to be such a "simple" thing is turning into a daunting task...my house has two outdoor hose bibs (in Minnesota) attached to the front and back of the house. They are McDonald non frost proof regular hose bib - almost positive they are 72014 model. They each have Watts...
  2. Mattdub1

Can't figure out where smell is coming from in bathroom

Another thought to add....If the smell was coming from the nail holes, wouldn't there be a slight water leak from them if the toilets and fixtures above drain down through this line? Also, I stuck my phone under the hole in the subfloor underneath the upstairs jacuzzi and took this pic...
  3. Mattdub1

This bath is in the basement. There are two bathrooms upstairs on this same side of the house, and a roof vent in this same area which likely vents all three bathrooms because I don't see another roof vent. Also, the roof vent appears smaller so the one with the nails and clean out on it may...
  4. Mattdub1

Here's another shot with more light. It appears the white line you asked about in the prior photo was a reflection of my camera light off the duct work. I can't see anything else wrong besides the nails and there is no way for me to access higher up the pipe. http://imgur.com/vUER9sK
  5. Mattdub1

Im I'm confused...Didn't you say this earlier? "It seems to me that would be quite a coincidence to have nails through the vent and an unrelated smell.". I thought you were saying that it makes sense for the nails to be related. Did I misinterpreted that? I thought I was finally onto...
  6. Mattdub1

The pipe that has the nails is the one with the cleanout at the base of it....It's quite a bit larger than 1 1/2"...More like 4". Does this change the recommendation?
  7. Mattdub1

So what's the best way to fix the holes in the pipe... Patch with something? Or cut section of pipe out and glue connector piece in there? Something else?
  8. Mattdub1

Oh OK, I see what you mean. I am not sure what that is, but it appears to be much much larger than a nail or screw. Could be my phone light reflecting off some other piping way up there, electrical cord, or something else. I will have to shine a brighter light up there and see.
  9. Mattdub1

I'm not sure which white thing you are seeing, but there are two nails on the left lower side of the vent in the pic.
  10. Mattdub1

So I taped plastic around the toilet and continue to smell a light stale smell. I did my daily floor crawling the other day and noticed a draft on my face from the vanity drawer closest to the toilet. I pulled out the drawers and to my surprise there was a small hole in the wall. I found the...
  11. Mattdub1

I will be trying that today, Reach4. My concerns are that the back of the toilet will be hard to do that with because there's only about 3/4 inch between it and the wall. The other issue is it's so intermittent, that I don't know when to lift and check the plastic. I have not smelled it in two...
  12. Mattdub1

Toilet seems rock solid. I dry fit it with shims which took awhile because the tile had some lippage under the toilet in several directions. I had to use several shims around the base, and was very anal retentive about getting it to a point of no rocking whatsoever. I then pulled it up, set the...
  13. Mattdub1

I will check but right now this is one of two main bathrooms...And it is the main shower...the shower gets used twice a day most days, sometimes 3 times. The sink is used frequently throughout the day as well, so I wouldn't think it would be caused by a dry trap, but I could be wrong. How long...
  14. Mattdub1

I'm not sure what you mean by pumped, but we are on city sewer. I don't have any pumps in the sewer system in my house.
  15. Mattdub1

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can take? Would a plumber be able to test that the smell is indeed sewer gas? I saw a few gas testers at home depot that say they test for methane, but not sure if they work well for sewer gas detection?
  16. Mattdub1

More details - per a forum members suggestion, I ran a load of laundry upstairs and nothing changed. Still no smell this morning. What is weird is that I have been running the fan on and off for the last week to make sure the new toilet fixed the issue and I never really smelled it again until...
  17. Mattdub1

I believe my vent goes through the roof and I have no window near this bathroom
  18. Mattdub1

Update...I have had the door shut and fan running this morning for two hours and no smell. I just ran the shower to steam it up a bit in there and no smell. It happens at very random times. Yesterday it started at about 2pm and went on for several hours. Regarding the floor drain, I only have...
  19. Mattdub1

Hi, We moved into our house in June last year. For the past few months I have noticed a stale smell that is possibly sewer gas in our basement bathroom. It is FAR more noticeable with the exhaust fan on and door closed. I have sniffed every fixture in the bathroom and cannot identify where...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks