Search results

1. Holybuzz

Removing asbestos-covered pipes

Wow! I'm the guy who started this thread. So, depending on your point of view, I'm either just some average dude or I am everything that is wrong with this country. Here's what I found out. Where I live it is OK for homeowners to remove their own asbestos. I triple-checked this. It is so...
  2. Holybuzz

Thanks again! 99K, Will you send me a check in the mail or just Paypal me? ;) Actually, maybe I'll just dip into my 401k a little bit. I'll look at my most recent statement now. [sound of ruffling papers] Nevermind.
  3. Holybuzz

Many thanks to all! Except for the advice that has been superseded, I will do everything that's been suggested here. Some notes: 1) There are several sections of the pipe that have been painted already (though not by me). The stuff is silver and almost reflective. 2) There are several...
  4. Holybuzz

Asbestos Not sure where/how to dispose of it. I figured I'd cross that bridge when the pipes are out. For what it's worth, I have a friend who is a chemical engineer who says that asbestos, while no picnic, isn't nearly as potent a hazard as they say. In her words, "you really have to have...
  5. Holybuzz

Hello! I have a 75-year-old house that was converted from hot water radiation to electric baseboards some twenty years ago (before I owned the place.) The move was done to take advantage of the extremely low electric rates (they're still low), but the hot water pipes weren't removed. I am now...
  6. Holybuzz

Need fix for a low, rusted, and slightly tilted closet flange

Clarification The Fernco donut is not, as such, a coupling. It's a gasket-like thingy that you push into the hub. You then push into it a length of PVC as your new riser. (BTW, the hub, the donut, and the PVC are all 4", so "push" is the right word. But at least it's a tight seal.) Then you...
  7. Holybuzz

Internal donut Jim, OK, got it. I was fixated on the concept of an outer Fernco donut (like the one in your link), one that wraps around the cast iron and the PVC. If there's one that goes inside the hub, that seems like a better solution. I'll do it that way.
  8. Holybuzz

Swap CI for plastic? Jim, I'm not sure I follow. If I take the entire riser out, what will the fernco attach to? Wouldn't I be better off cutting the CI, leaving enough riser in place to attach to? Or is there a fernco that connects the CI elbow to the PVC? That can't be right, can it. I get...
  9. Holybuzz

The five-minute plumber Well, I really didn't want to call a plumber. And I don't know of any that will charge for only five minutes work. ;) I took it off myself. It took me 20 minutes and a 1/4 inch drill bit (I guess I won't be going to the plumbing Olympics next year), but it's off. I...
  10. Holybuzz

Moved! I moved this question over to the plumbing forum. Didn't mean to, as it were, crash the toilet party. K
  11. Holybuzz

I'm re-doing a 4x5 1/2 bath in tile and radiant heat. (BTW, I've posted this question to the John Bridge forum, but I came here to look for more input.) Issue 1: The bathroom is on a crawl space and has a slight slope to it. From the entry to the opposite wall (5ft) there is a loss in height...
  12. Holybuzz

Copper fittings: elbow AND offset?

A(nother) change in plan OK. I have a HUGE new wrinkle to add. I've just decided to replace the plaster ceiling that is below the shower/tub in question with new drywall. Bringing the supply lines a few inches closer to the tub (the original motive for this thread) was complicated by the...
  13. Holybuzz

Sweating the valve What are the disadvantages of sweated connections to a valve that is designed to be threaded. Obviously, removing the valve at a later point becomes an issue (I guess it's probably a good idea to remove the cartridge when installing/removing), but is there anything else that...
  14. Holybuzz

So my options are... Yeah, I thought that the work looked...clean. Looks more like sculpture than plumbing. (Oops! Did I just offend some pros out there? ;) ) But where does that leave me? Am I left with no other option but to use the four elbows as I outlined in the original post? I just...
  15. Holybuzz

One more thing One more thing. The four-port valve I bought (on eb*y) has four threaded male fittings—something that Old Jim at the plumbing supply store said was odd. (When Jim says something's odd, my spider sense starts tingling.) I realize that it makes sense to have the supply come...
  16. Holybuzz

I may need to bring my supply lines closer to the wall where I am installing a shower valve. I'm using copper, and I thought that my only option was to use two elbows on each side: one on each side to bring the lines closer to the wall, and one one each side to bring the line to the valve...
  17. Holybuzz

Delta Monitor 1700 (1768) "Graves" tub/shwr valve

Thanks Mark, Thanks for the help. :) I'm going to go the way you suggest. Rip it all out, raise the spout and faucet. I assumed that a wedge and longer screws would do, but I wanted to hear from someone who'd actually worked with one of these before. The longer screws—the ones recommended...
  18. Holybuzz

Delta Monitor 1700 (1768) "Graves" tub/shwr valve

Plasterguard? Jimbo, If you're talking about the plasterguard (the gray plastic tophat-shaped thingy that protects the sleeve), it's there. Like I said, everything appears to be there. So you're saying that I should go ahead and re-do the lines, right? If so, can you take another look at...
  19. Holybuzz

Problem with Delta 17 series shower valve

Coincidence Keith B, I don't have an answer for you, but I thought the following was pretty freaky. I posted about my delta 17 series faucet about 12 hours after you posted about yours. (I didn't see your posting at the time.) My name is Keith. My last name starts with B. If you get...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks