Search results

1. karsc01

Trap primer needed on unused floor drain?

Here's a simple question. I'm planning on installing at least one (probably two) floor drains. It is a dry basement and they will only be there in case the water heater or the washing machine spring a leak. So most likely they will never be used. Now I could install a trap primer to make sure...
  2. karsc01

Reasons for basement plumbing setup?

Well, does nobody think I have anything to be concerned about with this setup? Is the concensus that it should be a simple matter to tie a grinder pump output into the existing 2" line with a new house trap? I tried to include a picture below since my description is long and may have discouraged...
  3. karsc01

opinions on rubber unions

It seems a little odd in the application you're describing. However I'm not a real expert and I can't see exactly what you're doing, so who knows. I know that in situations where I could have used them I just put a threaded PVC fitting that the copper screwed right into. But since you asked for...
  4. karsc01

Reasons for basement plumbing setup?

Reasons for this basement plumbing setup? I'm considering finishing my basement and putting in a bathroom with a sewage pump (or grinder pump). I've been researching various aspects of it for a few months now. However my current plumbing setup seems to be a little interesting and I'm looking...
  5. karsc01

Why is this not acceptable?

I've read several posts on here that talked about how having two floor drains on the same trap is not acceptable as shown in the diagram below. Could someone explain to me why this is not acceptable? I ask because these drains are going to be rarely if ever used and there's no wall or...
  6. karsc01

Opinions on waterless trap primers.

Well, as I read the advertisement it replaced just the trap primer. However it might as well replace the P trap too. It would be pretty useless if it's dry. The whole point though is that these are not supposed to let any gas through. Are you speaking from experience that they will?
  7. karsc01

That's good to know. My main concern is the sewer gas smell. I'm finishing the basement and installing an effluent pump and a bathroom, as well as moving the washer/dryer down there. So I would like to put in one or two floor drains. I'm not worried about anything backing up (except the gas) and...
  8. karsc01

What do the experts here think about the "waterless trap primers" such as the one sold here?: http://www.trapguard.com/tgintro.htm Are they decent? Or am I much better off with a normal trap primer if I'm doing work anyway and it wouldn't be a lot more work to use a normal one? Does anyone...
  9. karsc01

Floor drain to ejector/effluent pump?

Thank you both of you who replied. I did get it :). I was told that in addition to the regular trap I might need a trap primer because obviously since it's only for emergencies there wouldn't normally be water going down it. I'm not familiar with these. Do you have them on your drains or know...
  10. karsc01

Basement bathroom design inspection.

That's a great description. It sounds similar to what I was planning except with another vent for the washer. I'm not very familiar with a trap primer (though I can see the need for one and I was wondering about that) but I'll research it. For the ejector I wasn't going to put it right under the...
  11. karsc01

Hmm.. If that's the case then it sounds like I'd need to add a third vent directly downstream of the laundry sink. It wouldn't be that big a deal. I could join it with the one from the shower in the wall. However since the toilet has one upstream and that one is within a foot or two of the...
  12. karsc01

Oh... as you pointed out I glossed over one part. I didn't mention where the plumbing for the washer was going to go :). I was thinking of having an open pipe I could put the washer hose into in the wall that went down into the floor to a trap and then joined the main to the ejector pit...
  13. karsc01

Best outdoor faucets?

Thanks. I wrote that down and I'll be checking them out. They sound like the ticket. I plan to have some of these hooked up to water timers so I need something that won't leak at all when it's on (so I can use the timers).
  14. karsc01

The bottom part of the picture should show this. The main stack to the ejector pit will split in a Y (if moving upstream) of 3" pipes I was thinking, and one branch would have the toilet, then a vent, and then the sink while the other branch would have the laundry sink, a vent, and then the...
  15. karsc01

Best outdoor faucets?

Here's a simple general question. I have 3 outdoor faucets. It's an old house and they're probably 30 or 40 years old. They don't leak when they're off but when they're in use they spray water out of every imaginable place like a sprinkler. Tighting the nut makes no difference. I could probably...
  16. karsc01

Hello all. I am planning to install an ejector pump along with a bathroom in my basement and was hoping someone could review my (currently fairly simple) layout and plan. Since nobody could answer my first question of whether it's allowable to have a floor drain in a dry basement go into an...
  17. karsc01

Stripped drop elbow HELP

I'm not sure this is good advice so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure an expert would cringe but... On several occasions when I've been in a similar situation I've taken a dremel and carefully cut off the end of the offending threaded piece as well as cleaned up the threads as much as I...
  18. karsc01

dishwasher supply line

The whirlpool tub in the house I bought had the same type of line for both the hot and cold water. I'm sure it's fine for the hot water line, but as someone mentioned the kink in it is probably a crack waiting to happen (though it could be years and years away).
  19. karsc01

tap water got very rusty

I believe there's a number of iron loving bacteria that can also cause the discoloration you're describing. I'm not sure what the recommended treatment is or how to test for them (though I'm sure someone here does) but if you search online you'll find lots of information such as here...
  20. karsc01

Floor drain to ejector/effluent pump?

Hello, I have a dry basement that has never had a problem with flooding or moisture. There is currently no floor drain because one was never needed. I'm installing an ejector pump and moving the washer/dryer down to the basement as well as putting in a small bathroom. The pump would pump up to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks