Search results

1. foolhardy

Where to buy threaded/flush pvc for well casing?

I'm having a ~300' deep well drilled in the next 4 months and I was beginning to try to find the well casing. It looks like "threaded" or "flush" pvc isn't something sold at the big home stores ... or that I can find, anyway. Where do you order this stuff? I was thinking 4" threaded pvc with a...
  2. foolhardy

Pside-kick kit - additional required plumbing hardware

I may have over-complicated things. When I say solar powered, I mean that it will be a regular AC pump wired to a house electrical system with a grid-tied photovoltaic system. This is because I want the pump to use regular "grid power" under normal circumstances. It will really only be directly...
  3. foolhardy

Pside-kick kit - additional required plumbing hardware

I'm trying to figure out what all is needed to implement the pside-kick kit, PK1A. Is any other hardware required beyond a check valve and shutoff before it and a shutoff after? Thanks for your input.
  4. foolhardy

Is surface area of water exposed to air important

I ask because I'm designing a backup water tower type system and I'm wondering if it makes any difference using a tank like this: ... vs a water tote (which would only be +/- 1/3 full) like this ... **regardless of shape, the vessel will be confirmed safe for potable water storage**
  5. foolhardy

Is surface area of water exposed to air important

I've seen differently shaped tanks of similar sizes. In a tall skinny tank, there is less surface area of the water exposed to air as compared to a wider tank. Does this make a difference as to how long the water can be stored --- dealing with air exposed to water can grow algae faster ... or...
  6. foolhardy

Water system noobie - How to prevent vacuum in tank

Valveman is correct. The current sketchup has a float valve to stop the water coming into the tank.
  7. foolhardy

Well that is simple. I figured it had to be some fancy air valve. Thanks a lot for your input, valveman.
  8. foolhardy

In a water tank, how do you prevent a vacuum causing problems when water is added or drained? I assume that some sort of air is allowed to move in and out but you obviously can't just leave the lid open. Is some sort of anti-vacuum valve used? Thanks a lot for your input. In my...
  9. foolhardy

Setup for "a little" pressure during power outtage

I have not yet purchased the pump but a DC pump would make a lot of sense. Due to still needing the "water tower" to sustain substantial (cold) water use into the night I've updated the schematic. How does this look?
  10. foolhardy

Texas, thank you for your input. With it I did some reading and now realize that a submersible well pump pressurizes the pressure tank. I mistakenly thought that it just got the water up to ground level from whence you had to then pump into a pressure tank. You've cleared that up for me. Thank...
  11. foolhardy

I'll be building a house in the next year, or so. Our water will come from a well with a solar-powered submersible pump. I would like to use a "water tower" system to ensure that, during a power outtage, we will have at least a little bit of water pressure. With the following setup, we will have...
  12. foolhardy

Safe distance from river to put a well

This is the only thing I see in the water well standards for AL regarding location: 335-9-1-.04 Location Standards. Every well shall be located so that it is easily accessible, free from flooding from any known source of pollution. The location of the well shall comply with local regulations...
  13. foolhardy

Drilling well with river water: safe?

I'll be drilling a well in a location that is about a half mile from the nearest water line. It IS, however, next to a river so I'm planning on using a mud pump to pump river water for the drilling process. This well will, eventually, be providing water for an entire homestead, so it will need...
  14. foolhardy

Safe distance from river to put a well

I will be drilling a well next to a river. Is there a minimally accepted "safe" distance to drill next to a clean/unpolluted river to ensure that there is enough filtration to remove pathogens and the like? I will be having the water tested before using it but I'd just like a general idea of "do...
  15. foolhardy

Where to drill for well on this lot

I'm attempting to find out if there would be a recommended place to look/drill for wells on this lot. There is a river and then steep "mountiainside" up to a plateau about 165' above. The green X represents where a house will be built on this plateau. There is a roughly 100' square for scale...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks