Search results

1. Hunter01

Whole house surge protectors

What happened to the thread that was titled something like "Whole house surge protectors - and why you might want one"?? It disappeared.
  2. Hunter01

Hot electrical box

100 year old house wired with AC/BX. Seems to be BX wired all the way back to the (current) breaker box. At the electric box, if the circuit is energized, the metal box is hot, but the armored cable at the breaker box is at ground. Almost has to be a break in the BX shielding, right? The...
  3. Hunter01

Wrapping for looks

What can I wrap my refrigerant tubes on a mini-split with to make them look better? They are, already, of course, insulated, but 10' on the outside wall doesn't look good. Impossible to fit the existing corners with pre-formed plastic/vinyl covers.
  4. Hunter01

Home Security

Not sure where to post this, but have received great advice on other topics here, so here goes: I'd like to install a local (no connection to the police/fire) alarm system in my house. One that would detect movement inside the house and sound an alarm. Any advice on a good system; one that's...
  5. Hunter01

Basement drain (Backwater valve?)

I just found out that my house is the lowest one on our particular sewer line going to the main line. That means if the line gets plugged (like it did last Friday) between here and the main, sewage backs up into my basement first! Is there a reliable valve I could install in my 3" PVC...
  6. Hunter01

Exposed copper pipe to pedestal lav

The plumber who plumbed my house left about 16" of exposed copper pipe visible to the side and behind the pedestal sink in the bathroom (visible from almost anywhere in the bathroom). Does someone make some type of cover for the pipe so I don't have to have the sink re-plumbed, but make it look...
  7. Hunter01

Retrofit existing fixture for motion detecting

Does someone make a retrofit kit for existing outdoor light fixtures? I'm looking to make two of my six outdoor lights (matching design) into motion detecting mode (dusk to dawn). Tried a search on this site and a search for products without much success (Did find one for $65 - could easily...
  8. Hunter01

Heating small cottage

I'd appreciate some thoughts: My son lives year-round in a small (660 sq ft) cottage (Southern WI). No crawl space, no attic access, poorly insulated, no natural gas available, no chimney. He has been heating with a pellet stove, but works 10 hour days and has had problems with the unit...
  9. Hunter01

Sump Pump Recommendations

So, I'm about to purchase a replacement sump pump. I've posted before about my 18" sump and having a back up pump. Anyway, I plan on buying a replacement for the primary pump which is a Pro Flo. With the limited space in the sump, it would be nice to get the same physical layout of pump so I...
  10. Hunter01

Suggestions for rapid cycling pump

I have a Pro Flo submersible pump in an 18" diameter sump (not my design), backed up by an Aquanot II battery system (Thanks to suggestions here) The main pump has an unadjustable switch and cycles in about a 7" range. In the worst weather we've had in 5 years in the house, the pump cycled 14...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks