Search results

1. ShockHazard

PEX go no go gauge.....

If the fitting is too small, it is overtightened. Some tools are adjustable. I imagine it means the ring is close to breaking or the pex is squished. Either way, they should come out perfect every time.
  2. ShockHazard

Need help in identifying faucet & how to disassemble

Grohe is miserable stuff and in my experience, hard to find parts for.
  3. ShockHazard

PEX to copper, PEX to galvanized

I've never felt good about sharks, but I've also never known one to fail and they are code, where I live at least. If you're starting with half inch, change it to 3/4 pex. I use a copper 1/2" to 3/4" (female on both ends) and put a male 3/4" pex adapter on the end. I usually make half a dozen of...
  4. ShockHazard

Some flux questions

Ain't that the truth.
  5. ShockHazard

Some flux questions

I don't have much trouble with water based flux, but it does tend to scorch and leave ugly joints. I usually need to wipe them with a dry rag, followed by a moist one to wash the flux off. If so much as a drop of water occurs during the operation it washes it off entirely, which is why I never...
  6. ShockHazard

Grohe Ladylux kitchen faucet head

No body, no crime. If it functions fine, I'd just leave it alone. This mechanism is not very serviceable. I Deal with this sticky rubber cover all the time. What did it cost to replace?
  7. ShockHazard

Stupid newbie P-Trap question

Can you pan out more? I don't understand why the pipe coming off the drain is so close to the wall. The drain is at least a foot from the wall to begin with, right?
  8. ShockHazard

Tiny leaking crimp joint at toilet stop

It can't hurt to try, but as hj mentioned, if one crimp is bad expect more. If you have the slack, just cut it out and re apply. If you know of a place that rents hand tools (Home Depot?) you may be able to rent a crimp tool.
  9. ShockHazard

Random electrical wiring questions

It's a 110, in a bedroom where one person may be using the air conditioner while another is using an electric blanket. Yeah, I know.
  10. ShockHazard

Random electrical wiring questions

1. Is it okay to have one half of an outlet it's own circuit, such as for an air conditioner? (yes, I broke off the tabs) 2. Can I have multiple wires in a strain relief? 3. How about a staple? 4. Should junction boxes be grounded? 5. Is there any disadvantage to using breakers that are two...
  11. ShockHazard

Using aquapex instead of hePex

Simply put, make sure it says "oxygen barrier" and don't expect people at the plumbing supply store to know what you're talking about. Took my Home Depot two years to stock this type, and they only have it in 1/2"
  12. ShockHazard

Pressure reducing valve

I always wondered why there was lead in brass. I guess gate valves are going to turn to crap as well, eh?
  13. ShockHazard

4 inch waste line stopped up with baby wipes . should I use the b***** drain cleaner?

Some people are extremely sensitive to it, others not so much. I use it as cheap degreaser. It only works on grease or hair, not obstructions.
  14. ShockHazard

Hot Tub Wiring

Is it legal to have a 3 conductor feed going outside? I was under the impression all outdoor 220 fixtures were 4 conductor only.
  15. ShockHazard

wiring a hot tub

Lets say I did decide to have a 60 amp breaker in the (primary) box, and another breaker as a disconnect. What amperage should it be, or should it simply never be? Is there ever an example of a sub panel having only one breaker?
  16. ShockHazard

wiring a hot tub

Ok, so pulling a 110 out of this 220 setup is okay if it has it's own breaker? Second response: Lets say I have this 110 outlet on it own 15 amp breaker, and the whole shabang is gfci protected at the panel. Is is gfci protected, even thought the gfci breaker is predicting a 220 volt load? I'd...
  17. ShockHazard

wiring a hot tub

60 amp GFCI breaker, 4 wire Disconnect outside on the house wall. 1) Can I legitamatly put a 120 outlet near this disconnect, powered by one of the two leads coming from the GFCI? 2) Does this outlet need to be, itself a GFCI? 3) Should the disconnect be a breaker? 4) If so, what...
  18. ShockHazard

Dim Glow in Incandescent Bulb When Touched

If he had enough current running through his body to light a filiment, he'd know it. ___ I say it's just a dirty connection at the base of the outlet. Use a small piece of wood to scrape it clean, with the switch off. Blow any residual dust out of it.
  19. ShockHazard

Running 2 Taco zone pumps off one Taco controler

You can pull up to 1/3 hp per zone on that controller. I'd reccomend simply getting a larger pump. Your pumps are 1/25 hp. Make sure the temperature ranges on the aquastat are set far apart - this will reduce cycling and often add to efficiency.
  20. ShockHazard

Make metal glow with electricity

You could encapsulate it in glass, and fill it with neon. But it's not exactly a do-it-yourself project.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks