Search results

1. Awpurcell10

Cleanouts/Test Tees

Are cleanouts mandatory for lav and shower runs before they dump into the main stack? I have about 30 ft of 2" pipe before the double lav and shower dump into my main stack in the basement. I ran them separately from my secondary toilet stack in my new 2nd floor bathroom, so I could avoid...
  2. Awpurcell10

Adding a Bathroom to a bungalow attic - Toilet Venting Question

Wow, big weekend....I tapped in the main stack yesterday. Good news, NO LEAKS! Please take a look at the photo. I am thinking I need to add a test at the end of the 2" run that goes back towards the other side of the basement. At that point, the pipe turns at 90 degrees and goes another 6'...
  3. Awpurcell10

My old cast iron 4" main stack does not have a clean plug, but I am going to add one in my remodel. Does my new secondary 3" stack going up to the attic also have to include a cleanout plug? Or does the cleanout on main stack serve as the cleanout for that stack as well? Lastly, where do these...
  4. Awpurcell10

Here is what my stack looks like so far...I did go with the 2" low-heel connection, just to be safe. My major focus is on around this 3" street 90 closet bend.
  5. Awpurcell10

2" x 8" is what I am working between. So a 3" street closet bend is just as legal as 4" x 3" closet bend?
  6. Awpurcell10

I will let you guys know what he says. Can someone please tell me if I can use a 3" street 90 beneath my toilet flange. I have had two plumbers tell me that I can but apparently the plumbing code is up to a lot interpretation. I know that when you go from a vertical run to horizontal that...
  7. Awpurcell10

Got it, that makes sense...I will add if the inspector sees fit. Any input on my street 90 bend for the toilet? Am I good there?
  8. Awpurcell10

From a common sense standpoint, the lav on the right should flow exactly like the lave on the left. Also, since the trap serves a clean out, this will be very easy to clean, if for some reason, it gets clogged. Back to the toilet, I went with the 3" street 90 turn for my toilet connection. I...
  9. Awpurcell10

Thank you Tom. I appreciate the unbiased response, understanding that this may not be the "ideal" set-up for the pro plumber. I am actually excited for what the inspector will say about this.
  10. Awpurcell10

Okay, that is what I am looking for. I understand the plumber I spoke with may not be as focused on quality as the pros on this forum. You guys seem to be very dialed-in and certainly know your craft, I am just trying to learn. Why do you guys not like this configuration? I would like to know...
  11. Awpurcell10

but back to plumbing....Can someone help me understand why the way I set-up the lavs is not a good idea? Even if it is a link to this same type of conversation in the past. Check out the isometric the licensed plumber drew for me. Is that incorrect?
  12. Awpurcell10

too late, someone grabbed it out of my lawn while I was cutting it out. These scrappers are quick!
  13. Awpurcell10

That is interesting, because for some reason, this is what he told me what to do, with an isometric picture. Is this technically against code? If not, what is probably why he told me to do it this way. The way I look at it, as long as the water flows down the drain, I will be fine :) I will...
  14. Awpurcell10

Really? Why not? This was actually the way it was suggested to me by a licensed plumber. Another more general question, I need to cut-out a piece of the cast iron and replace with a 4" x 3" wye and a 4" cleanout. Is there any issue with using PVC for this (per code). I hear a lot of people...
  15. Awpurcell10

Is this better? I made the following changes: - changed the piping for the lavs to 1-1/2" (on the slope, still 2" going down to the basement" - re-studded the walls and put smaller holes in the studs - lowered the holes
  16. Awpurcell10

agreed, I started re-doing it last night...it is a good thing PVC/wood studs are cheap! One of my friends is helping me with this and I just think he was moving too quickly. I will post the new (and improved) picture tomorrow or Thursday. Nothing like doing things twice..."If you dont have...
  17. Awpurcell10

Yes, it is a 2" x 2" x 2" (even have a 2" vent for this one, just to keep it simple). Also, I think you meant I need to turn the bend on the left side, correct? Can I swap the locations of the two tees on the rightside, in an effort to get the drain coming out of the wall lower, as I think I...
  18. Awpurcell10

No, I am adding a secondary 3" stack, which I will tie into the main stack, beneath where the 1st floor lav, tub and toilet tie in.
  19. Awpurcell10

Can I keep my existing tee on the right side where it is now, or do I need to move my drain opening to the left, so it not at the vent tee? From Terry's message, it almost seemed like I needed to relocate that drain, so the vent would count for both sinks. Is that accurate? If I can keep the...
  20. Awpurcell10

So is my venting sufficient for the double lavs? Everything is run in 2" in that pluming wall. Here are a few changes I will make and other thoughts: 1) Change to a 4" shielded coupling on the dry vent 2) Replace the 2"elbow currently facing upwards with a 90 degree 2" street elbow...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks