Search results

1. SuperMatttheHero

Black Soot in bathtub from SharkBite

Update: The problem wasn't the water heater, it was the Sharkbite flexible water heater lines I had used. Replacing them with conventional flexible copper lines solved the problem. Here is a link to someone else who had the same issue: http://www.kcsr.org/showthread.php?t=84485
  2. SuperMatttheHero

What do I do about it?
  3. SuperMatttheHero

I've been getting black soot coming out in the bathtub when the hot water hasn't been used all night. It doesn't appear to be broken-up rubber. It is very fine, black, and the large pieces will break up and dissolve if I poke them with my finger. It will smear on the tub. I have a gas hot...
  4. SuperMatttheHero

Cleaning 40 gallon water heater with vinegar?

The crazy thing is, when we started getting the explosions, we had the water tested by a local company. Result was 2 grains of hardness!!! The tester remarked this was very low amount of hardness. He was the president of the company, so I would assume he knew how to conduct the test. BTW...
  5. SuperMatttheHero

Cleaning 40 gallon water heater with vinegar?

Is it safe to drain my 40 gallon water heater, fill with a few gallons of white vinegar, and then let it sit overnight? It is 8 years old (2004 model), and every day I hear explosions in it (scale breaking up?). I assume that this would help clean dissolve all of the sediment which doesn't...
  6. SuperMatttheHero

Vikrell tub cracked today after 8 months

Hackney, youre a funny guy when you have no idea what i paid for the tub, no idea how it was installed or what the credentials of the installer were. Following your logic, merely adding water or standing in the tub causes cracks if something is dropped. Your opinion is not compelling, and this...
  7. SuperMatttheHero

What shampoo bottle? I have no idea how it cracked. The man looked at it and said it was a stress crack, and Kohler agreed to cover it based on his diagnosis. I am curious why you would respond that way - as if you take offense to remarking on poor workmanship. Or maybe you support products...
  8. SuperMatttheHero

Welp, Kohler/Sterling sent someone to come and repair it. He cleaned and sanded the area, then used 2-part epoxy, and then spray-painted the area white with an official Kohler paint. Well, actually he screwed up the first time with the paint, so he had to wipe away all of the paint with...
  9. SuperMatttheHero

My Vikrell tub that we started using last July cracked near the corner of the threshold area, close to where the door sits. Tub was set in piles of mortar and never made a peep while using it. Anyone have experience with Kohler on warranty work? I am really kicking myself for not getting...
  10. SuperMatttheHero

Oatey "no-caulk" drain leaking in shower w/ acrylic pan

Welp, just ordered the Wingtite. You should get a commission! Thanks for helping me not rip out my shower pan. I like that if it ever leaks in the future, it will come out and can be resealed. I will try it with that sealant, since my searching reveals people seem happy with it. It seems...
  11. SuperMatttheHero

Wow. Have you used either of those? Which one do you prefer? You just saved me a ton of work (although cutting out the old drain will still take a little time!).
  12. SuperMatttheHero

I assumed that you were talking about the Davke 4000? The one that gets epoxied to the shower base? The one that shrinks your drain to a non-code-compliant 1.5 inches? Is that the drain you're referring to? If not, feel free to point me somewhere else.
  13. SuperMatttheHero

I used the Oatey plastic drain, and yes, I did put lots of mortar underneath. The base is very solid. Looking at it more closely, I think the problem is that I was not able to tighten the large nut enough. Once it got to a certain point, the whole body began to spin (with the silicone already...
  14. SuperMatttheHero

Hello, I have an acrylic shower pan that I'm using with an Oatey "no caulk" shower drain. I installed it as advised by the instructions, but it's leaking between the top flange and the shower base. Surprisingly, the "no caulk" rubber gasket is holding up just fine. In other words, the...
  15. SuperMatttheHero

Two toilets on 4" drain

Update: Turns out both toilets are siphoning one another. Neither will siphon the other to where it breaks the trap seal, but to the extent where only the minimum amount of water necessary to maintain the seal is left. Flushing a toilet with such a small amount of water basically produces...
  16. SuperMatttheHero

Two toilets on 4" drain

I thought I would follow up here just in the nature of better understanding the layout of my initial post. I have since completed it, with both bathrooms tiled and toilets installed, so I can describe how it's working. The toilets are both Kohler 1.28 gpf models. The plumbing shown above...
  17. SuperMatttheHero

Can't get bath sink drain flange to seal

Hi, One of the white porcelain undermount sinks that came with my granite countertops isn't quite flat enough around the drain flange area. Thus, even after I installed the drain flange with plumbers putty, a few weeks later and most of the putty has washed out in a small 1/2" area around...
  18. SuperMatttheHero

Two toilets on 4" drain

Sounds like I need to add a vent in there just above the combo-wye, then.
  19. SuperMatttheHero

Vent size for 3" horizontal drain from water closet

Hi, If toilets don't need vents, then why does HJ infer that I need one here? https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?43016-Two-toilets-on-4-quot-drain
  20. SuperMatttheHero

Two toilets on 4" drain

Can I do this, and will it work properly? The (blue) drain is 4" pipe where it attaches to each closet flange and ties into the main stack which goes up through the roof. The black fitting is a combo-wye. There are no other vents (besides the main stack, obviously). The rightmost toilet is 6...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks