Search results

1. Alchemist

Best practice for Toto Drake Install

Drake toilet installed and I am very happy. Here's what happened though (another surprise): The right side of my closet flange (the offset oval piece of crap) didn't sit down on the tile floor well. It was probably 5-6 mm above floor, sort of floated. When I put the toilet down over the...
  2. Alchemist

Squirrels Eating Lead Vent Stack Covers -II

My neighbor is a wacko that thinks she was chosen to save squirrels. She raises them. I see her out in her yard and lets the young ones crawl all over her. They even sh!t on her, seriously. My solution several years ago was to give my sons $1 for every dead squirrel they brought to me...
  3. Alchemist

Big ah oh!

everything's A-OK. Plumber came out with one of those camera gadgets, 200 foot version. We verified nothing was there. He suspected either a turd or the rags right before the drop from my second floor. I flushed the other second floor toilet and the thing washed on down. We're now certain...
  4. Alchemist

Big ah oh!

This is worse than I thought. (I had thought the plumber might have grabbed them when he was over here on Thursday morning). What I thought was a vent pipe that came sideways right under my closet flange is actually a water tie in from my master bathroom shower. So those rags, two red ones...
  5. Alchemist

That is excellent advice, and I was thinking just that, that the whole flange opening (the oval) had to be covered. I will buy two wax rings and 'splice' one into the other. Makes sense.
  6. Alchemist

Big ah oh!

I did something stupid. I shoved a couple of red shop rags, the small hand size ones, little bigger than a wash rag, in the entrance (not far) of my toilet flange, to keep sewer gas to a minimum. Unfortunately, it looks like the rags slipped down the pipe. It goes sideways as far as my arm...
  7. Alchemist

Thanks - I think I'll go with the plain wax ring. To make it clear, my flange doesn't sit flush with floor. It sits above it. So I would use 1 ring. the wax rings that Lowes or Depot sell are either plain wax or wax surrounding a rubber ring. are you saying that those are the funnel types...
  8. Alchemist

I'm getting ready to install a Toto Drake in my upstairs BR. Yeah, that's the BR that has the damn offset closet flange, but a couple of plumbers came over and advised me to try it, that the Toto was a heck of a lot better toilet than the Gerber Watersaver 3.2 gal from 1988. Here's the...
  9. Alchemist

Offset flange Ba$$tard!

With the likely need for a new offset closet flange (i have the old oval style - bad design) or a straight closet flange, I will probably go with the straight. Hell, they have to tear up my kitchen ceiling anyway, and one is just as easy to install as the other. The 10" rough in toilets are a...
  10. Alchemist

Offset flange Ba$$tard!

Just talked to a plumber and one is coming over Wednesday. Basically, the ba$$tard that built my home messed up on a wall measurement and there was a joist in the way, and he used one of those oval offset flanges. From what he said, you have to service the flange from the 1st floor, meaning...
  11. Alchemist

New Construction, Toilet Rough In Waaaaay Off

If you think this is all bad, consider that about a month ago, I went along with a building inspector and we saw the following: 1. 110V wire going THROUGH a HVAC return. 2. The return was 'chased', had a sheetmetal floor, but otherwise, had joists for 'sides' and plywood for a top...
  12. Alchemist

Offset flange Ba$$tard!

No access from below. This is a second floor toilet, although to be honest, I have a hole cut (from the water that overflowed out of the dang Gerber 'watersaver'). Small hole, and the fore/aft direction I would need to go might be blocked by a joist (they run that way, perpendicular to the...
  13. Alchemist

Offset flange Ba$$tard!

I just purchased a Toto Drake last week and was looking forward to putting it in this weekend. Measured my roughin on all three toilets in the house and 12" was used. The one that I'm actually replacing had cheated the 12" by just a little (e.g. 1"), and the toilet tank lid on that one actually...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks