Search results

1. miracj

Shutting off indirect hot water while away or sleeping

Thanks for the answer. My interest was not to shut off the entire boiler (which I can effectively do by turning down the temperature on the smart thermostats remotely for everything but the indirect hot water). In the summer I could shut the whole thing down, but in the winter, I need to keep...
  2. miracj

Shutting off indirect hot water while away or sleeping

I have a 3 phase oil burner with a 60 gallon indirect hot water tank (Superstor single hull). It serves 2 full bathrooms, kitchen sink and dishwasher, and clothes washer. I currently have 2 people total living in the home, but it is a 3 bedroom house living in Boston, MA. Does it make sense to...
  3. miracj

Insulation where floor joists overhang foundation

No bad smell. My wife has the nose of a bloodhound, and could tell me in a second. It was about 6 ft high point on the lower floor, Just vinyl siding outside there and the cement foundation and no brick (except for fireplace next to it) and never seemed to continue after sealing. Not for...
  4. miracj

I was told to use copper or stainless steel wool (non rusting) to plug the holes (although if it was touching another metal, it could cause some galvanic action between the metals), but to still allow the moisture out. Obviously plugging the holes so there is no moisture outlet would be real...
  5. miracj

Unfortunately, it is only the vinyl siding that is there (stuck into guides at the wall and Header/band joist). If I were to install some air barrier there, I probably would use a minimal thickness and place the vinyl siding on those, as there is not much of a drip edge (if any) on the front...
  6. miracj

I've attached a picture to show my setup and my intention for the batts and solid foam. There may be space between the brick and the stud wall, but I am not sure (but would think there should be). The floor I believe is 3/4" plywood with 1/2" OSB on top of that (but I am not positive). My...
  7. miracj

I'm located in the Boston, Massachusetts metropolitan area (Zone 5) in a split-level house built in 1986 with a 2 foot cantilever using 2 x 10" joists sitting on a brick wall on top of a cement wall (although I suspect the joist load is on the inside stud walls transferred to the cement...
  8. miracj

Cadert 3 Flowise flashing in trapway

Hi Terry, Thanks for the info. I was afraid that the waste might catch on that flashing. It doesn't seem to want to easily come off, so I'll leave it alone. I know you are not enamored with Cadet 3, but I have had good luck with them (no cracks, missing glazing or unlevel) and they have...
  9. miracj

Cadert 3 Flowise flashing in trapway

I just picked up an unopened Cadet 3 Flowise Right Height, 1.28 Gal flush off of craigslist. On the bottom where the water exits, there is a small amount of glazed flashing that seems to be there. See attached photo. Front of the toilet is to the top of the photo where the small hole is (kind...
  10. miracj

American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

My Cadet 3 Elongated Flowise (1.28 Gallon), standard height (made in Mexico) does not seem to accumulate any brown on the sides (no matter the source type), nor does it seem to have any detectable splash. Both issues were important to me. So I don't know why you are experiencing the issue...
  11. miracj

Six toilets for new home - What to get?

I have a Cadet 3 Elongated Flowise (Flowise meaning 1.28 Gallons). I wrestled with whether a 1.28 gallon would sufficiently flush, and finally decided, based upon reading lots of messages and reviews, that it should work fairly well. I was very pleasantly surprised at just how well it handled...
  12. miracj

Toto ADA/upstairs downstairs questions

Hi Terry, What is the purpose of holding down the handle? It definitely puts additional water down into the bowl (which may rinse the bowl a bit more), but the final level should pretty much be the same height as the water trap. Or does the suction of the flush pull out more water than...
  13. miracj

Hi Terry, Not doubting that in the least. I always look at many independent "Intelligent" reviews and opinions (leaves CR out I guess :D ). And if a plumber, I would never risk a callback or issue. It's not worth it. A DIY-er, has a different perspective. Recourse if he has a problem...
  14. miracj

Hi Terry, Unless I'm mistaken, a Dalton is 1.6 gallons, so that is comparing an apple to an orange since I wanted a 1.28 gallon or better. The Drake bone, elongated delivered to me (Boston, MA) is about $285 on the internet. I could not find a local dealer that could match anything even...
  15. miracj

The $275 was for a bone (not white) color, Cadet 3 Flowise (1.28 gallons, not 1.6 gallons) elongated, standard height. The item was in the catalog, but not in the store, so it needed to be ordered, but not special ordered. Total cost was $263+tax. No shipping expense. Are we comparing...
  16. miracj

Not to disagree, but my experience is quite the opposite. I installed a Cadet 3 Flowise (1.28 gallon/flush) elongated, standard height, which has a 3" pipe to 4" toilet flange. I have one user that creates really hard, very large diameter (like 2 inches) waste and relatively long as well on...
  17. miracj

Do Toilets really use water as specified?

If you are measuring water flow into the house with a household water meter, it would include all water to the toilet. Meter should still be as accurate as meters are (no idea of their reliability, but I suspect they are good and probably most likely fail in a manner that indicates lower volume...
  18. miracj

My water meter measures in .02 cubic feet increments and is resolvable down to .005 cubic feet, so it is relatively easy to tell my water usage per flush. This may not be true for all places however. 7.48051948 gallons per cubic foot, or 0.13368056 cubic feet per gallon 1.6 gallons =...
  19. miracj

I was curious if most individuals or people in the trade actually measure the usage of a toilet they installed? If so, is it by reading the water meter before and after a flush, or by placing some type of flow meter in line with the water supply? How much variation from specifications...
  20. miracj

Noise when Toilet is flushed

I'm glad you solved your problem, but I'll relate a similar sounding noise problem and solution in case it helps others. I had a relatively new house, and the bathroom that was seldom used had something that sounded like water hammer or an interruption in the flow of water to the toilet. I'm...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks