Cadert 3 Flowise flashing in trapway

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by miracj, Jul 9, 2013.

1. miracj

miracj New Member

I just picked up an unopened Cadet 3 Flowise Right Height, 1.28 Gal flush off of craigslist. On the bottom where the water exits, there is a small amount of glazed flashing that seems to be there. See attached photo. Front of the toilet is to the top of the photo where the small hole is (kind of looks like a 1/4" funnel)

My questions are
    • Is that small hole normal?
    • Is that flash common for American Standard Cadet 3 quality?
    • Should I knock off that small flashing, and will that affect the toilet trapway? If I should, best way to take it off.

Thanks,

Ira
    20130709_2_Cadet3ToiletFlushway.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The small casting hole is normal, and the little flashing there isn't going to do anything.
    If you can scratch it off, fine. If not, why worry.
  3. miracj

miracj New Member

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info. I was afraid that the waste might catch on that flashing. It doesn't seem to want to easily come off, so I'll leave it alone.

I know you are not enamored with Cadet 3, but I have had good luck with them (no cracks, missing glazing or unlevel) and they have worked well in my home. But that doesn't mean I'd refuse a Toto given similar prices (and without the potential gotchas)

Thanks again,

Ira
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

You are fortunate, and personal preference makes the world go around, of course.

For what it's worth, the street price of the Toto Drake II CST744S (1.6) or CST744E (1.28) is comparable in price to many models of the Cadet 3. It depends a little on the color and whether you want Comfort Height on the bowl, but you'd be surprised. The basic Drake can be had for around $220 in white. Sometimes even less. But one does have to shop around and occasionally bargain a bit, something you don't have to do at the Big Box. But it can be done. Just something for future reference. Glad it worked out with your current Cadet 3!