Search results

1. MiamiCanes

Repiping PB to PEX from slab to fixture... details?

Do you happen to know why they (the clamp-on Sharkbite-rebranded-Oetiker rings) wouldn't be suitable for the polybutylene side of the connection? Here's the thing... I have two realistic options I'm aware of, neither of which is perfect: 1. Use the clamps on both the PB and PEX ends of the...
  2. MiamiCanes

^^^ Right, but I'm not talking about CRIMPING. I'm talking about using the OTHER tool/method sold by Home Depot, which consists of little ratcheting rings with a slightly different tool that appears to pinch them together from one side (see my last pic for the specific tool and rings I'm talking...
  3. MiamiCanes

The fitting is definitely for joining PB to PEX.. the package is hard to read, but you can sort of make out the "1/2" x 1/2" PB Polybutylene Adapter" printed on it in the last pic I posted (next to the clamping tool). I can't think of any blatant technical reason why clamps shouldn't work for...
  4. MiamiCanes

Is there any specific advantage to traditional compression fittings vs push-on (when using copper), besides the fact that they're a buck or two cheaper than Sharkbite push-on friction fittings? I have to admit that I really dread the thought of option #3. I had a HORRIBLE time 2 years ago...
  5. MiamiCanes

Tomorrow, I'm planning to replace the polybutylene pipes for 3 fixtures. At the moment, the PB emerges from the slab parallel to a steel marker conduit (about 1/2" away), connects to another run of PB via a plastic fitting (whose replacement is the main purpose of tomorrow's project), then the...
  6. MiamiCanes

Champion 4... wtf, mismatched bowl + tank?

Oh... one more quick question while I'm working on the tank. I've seen wildly conflicting descriptions of just how tight the bolts holding the toilet down should be. Can I safely assume that the point where they're "too tight" is ABSOLUTELY tighter than any point where the toilet can be moved...
  7. MiamiCanes

OK, I'll try recentering and tightening it a bit. I was just kind of freaked out by the visible gap, and assumed that the tank would fit hand-in-glove into the bowl instead of just perching on top of the ridge. I'm adding pics of the box label and first page of the installation manual...
  8. MiamiCanes

Back in 2009, I bought what I believed to be a Champion 4 elongated bowl and tank from Home Depot. The tank was in a sealed box. The bowl had a Champion 4 picture (with barcode) taped to it by an employee, and rang up as a Champion 4 bowl. It sat in my pile of "things to do someday" until today...
  9. MiamiCanes

Valve orientation + leakage problem

They're brass. One thing I noticed -- they have no washers. Is there some particular reason why? It seems like they'd be a LOT less likely to lean if there were a washer to help seal the connection between the valve and nipple.
  10. MiamiCanes

Valve orientation + leakage problem

I'm installing the new plumbing for the sink and toilet in my bathroom (the old pipes were PB and had to be replaced). Among other things, I bought dark brass-colored valves that connect to 1/2" nipples screwed into Gatorbite fittings attached to the wall. The problem I'm having is that I need...
  11. MiamiCanes

Arrrrrrrrrrgh... the tub spout is too short

Hmmm. OK, the faucet extenders are definitely a step in the right direction... now I just need to find one that's not ugly, and I can claim was an intentional artistic design statement rather than a desperate attempt to avoid spending more on a spout than I spent on the valve and showerhead...
  12. MiamiCanes

Argh. Out of all the acrylic 42x72 tubs sold by Lowe's, I had to find the one messed-up model that needs an exotic spout because the tub's front was set back too far from the wall by the manufacturer. Making matters worse, I just looked at the tub's spec sheet again. Nowhere on it does it show...
  13. MiamiCanes

Water heater now making strange noises

Followup: At this point, both the water and heater have been left 'on' continuously for ~36 hours. The noise hasn't stopped completely, but it's subsided a LOT. :-)
  14. MiamiCanes

How to fix "flex" in the bottom of a bathtub

Well, phase one of the foam-filling is complete. I began by injecting "large gap" Great Stuff foam into the ~1cm void that Laurel Mountain inexplicably left between most of the front support and the OSB bottom. The good news: the creaking sounds mostly went away when I step over the...
  15. MiamiCanes

> The only way to make that spout "longer" would be to make the wall thicker. Or, presumably, replace it with a longer spout from Delta that's stainless-steel (a.k.a. fake brushed nickel)?
  16. MiamiCanes

Sunday is "D(rain)-Day" -- and trap's offset is wrong.

Update II -- the shower/tub mixer, head, and filler are all in place, and seem to be drip-free and watertight. The anticlimax: seeing 4 streams of water coming from the filler that didn't really look like all that much water. Intellectually, I know it's the full capacity of 1/2" pipe and is...
  17. MiamiCanes

Stain Resistant Shower Pans

If cost is literally no object, your best bet is probably Corian. If you stick to a standard size and one of the cheaper color mixes (ie, off-white, almond vs "Black Galaxy" or one of the stonelike varieties), a 3x4 pan will probably run about $1,200 (at least, that's what I remember from ~3...
  18. MiamiCanes

The Hardiebacker and tile haven't gone up yet... For the next week or so, the tub enclosure will be in plastic-wrapped limbo so it'll be usable until I have time to start on the walls & tile. The back of the filler is approximately where it will be once the wall and tile are in place. A...
  19. MiamiCanes

How to fix "flex" in the bottom of a bathtub

I'm interested in this thread, too. I set my new tub (acrylic, with built-in OSB bottom resting on two fiberglass shells) in mortar when I installed it last Sunday. It's "99%" solid, but there are a couple of spots where I've heard it creak a tiny bit while walking around inside of it... mainly...
  20. MiamiCanes

Water heater now making strange noises

So... getting back to the original problem... the sounds are likely to be normal? The thing is, the only time it ever happened BEFORE was a year and a half ago, when I first bought my house & moved in, and the City promptly shut off the water the day after the closing because I hadn't opened a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks