Search results

1. DeweyBeach

Combing 24v and 120v systems on one thermostat

Here's my situation: I manage an older semi-commercial building, one part of which has hot water heating (radiators) as well as regular a/c with a compressor outside and an air handler in the attic. The a/c system runs on the usual 24 volts, but the hot water thermostat is 120v (the thermostat...
  2. DeweyBeach

Best replacement for old Mansfield frost-free sillcocks?

Thanks, Jim -- those look great (although I still welcome other suggestions). I probably should have added that easy replacement/service parts availability is always a plus (although certainly not critical in the Internet age where stuff can be shipped easily). And wow, those Moen faucets look...
  3. DeweyBeach

Best replacement for old Mansfield frost-free sillcocks?

I have two 25+ year old Mansfield/Prier frost-free, anti-siphon outdoor sillcocks that are shot. I think both are sweated onto the pipes, but fortunately there's only drywall inside the house that can be cut and patched fairly easily. For the one near my driveway (currently just cold H2O) I'm...
  4. DeweyBeach

turn furnace into a fan for summer?!?

To do this, you may have to bypass the door switch which isn't the best idea in the world. And that switch is there for a good reason -- if the door isn't closed properly when the burners are on, you can vent carbon monoxide in the house, which can definitely kill you.
  5. DeweyBeach

In my home, whoever wired the thermostat snipped off the unused wires, but in the furnace, they left the unused wires their original length after they stripped back the wire jacket and then wrapped the unused wires around the jacket. I found that the thermostat wires were not tightly stapled to...
  6. DeweyBeach

I'd think that would depend if it's a finished basement or not. If the house was built with any thought at all of anyone spending time down there, then it's possible there's a return duct on that level.
  7. DeweyBeach

Does your existing thermostat have a "fan only" position (i.e., system "off" but fan "on")? If so, I'd just use that. If it doesn't have that option, I'd pull the thermostat from the wall and see which wires it has hooked to it -- my thinking is that if your furnace will run in fan only...
  8. DeweyBeach

Closing off central air return

Some systems do not have returns in every room, only one or two main returns in a central area. Return air from each room should (in theory) find its way to the return duct under doors, etc.
  9. DeweyBeach

Advice for disgruntled employee!!!!

You shared your thoughts with your boss, and he told you he didn't agree with them -- end of story, leave it at that. Trying to teach the boss a better way of doing things is only likely to earn you a label as a troublemaker (especially since you're relatively new). And don't bring up...
  10. DeweyBeach

Multiple triggers for HVAC fan?

We have a 2H/2C Honeywell FocusPro 5000 thermostat in our home and it works great most of the time at controlling the temperature. However, our kitchen has several large greenhouse windows, and when the sun is at a certain angle, the solar heat makes the kitchen about 10 degrees hotter than the...
  11. DeweyBeach

Heat Pump Not Coming On

Turns out the system had a leak, so the safety switch kicked in and prevented the heat pump from coming on...
  12. DeweyBeach

Repair or Replace Heat Pump?

Went back into my file... The exitsting unit is a 2 ton heat pump with a 14 SEER rating. The system has R-22 in it. FWIW the air handler is a Carrier FK4BNF003.
  13. DeweyBeach

Yes, accumulator is the word I should have used. Thanks.
  14. DeweyBeach

I have a Carrier Tech 2000 SS heat pump system that is around 14 years old. It was top-of-the-line when new. The air handler fan was replaced about 5 years ago, the evaporator coil in the air handler was replaced about a year ago when it leaked, and now the condenser tank in the compressor...
  15. DeweyBeach

Heat Pump Not Coming On

Thank you so much!
  16. DeweyBeach

Heat Pump Not Coming On

Thanks. Yeah, I'm aware that the heat pump won't work below a certain temp. However, the current outside temp is 60 and I just tried the system on heat -- at some point the air handler starts (as if it should be getting heat from the pump/exchanger and blowing it through the ducts) but the...
  17. DeweyBeach

Heat Pump Not Coming On

Thank you -- I understand. I have no intention of opening my heat pump and I am at the point of calling a service tech for help. I was just curious to know if there was anything obvious I was overlooking. For instance, if there's a possibility the thermostat is to blame, I could easily swap...
  18. DeweyBeach

Heat Pump Not Coming On

My Carrier heat pump is not coming on at all, although the air handler does move air. If I set the thermostat high enough, I get auxilliary (electric) heat, but the outside heat pump itself never activates. Similarly, if I set the system to cool and crank down the temp setting, the air handler...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks