Search results

1. CharlieNH

Old sink drain to floor into apparent cracked lead joint

In the process of replacing my S-trap in a very old summer camp, the 1-1/4 brass and chrome tubing that the drain consists of came loose where it goes down into a joint flush with the wood floor. (Vibrations from sawing it partway up.)Looks like a lead joint and lead is now cracked. Pic...
  2. CharlieNH

How hard to replace sight glass on old pressure tank

I got the glass tube out without any trouble. Cleaned out the rust. The seal was "petrified" but not stuck to the glass. I suppose I could use an o-ring to reseal it, but I wondered if there is any more appropriate type of seal. Looks like the o=ring size would be 208, not sure how hard that is...
  3. CharlieNH

Hi -- It's a storage tank without a bladder. My pump feeds water into it from my dug well, and the pressure builds up to 50 psi before the pump shus off. Because of air leaks in the input or air dissolving in the water, I sometimes need to put in air from a compressor to get the right amount of...
  4. CharlieNH

The sight glass on my old galvanized pressure tank is so dirty that it's hard to see through, and the seals leak for a couple of weeks in the spring when I bring water into the system. (I drain everything for the winter at my camp.) Is the sight glass likely to break if I try to take it out...
  5. CharlieNH

Sight glass seal leak on old pressure tank

I have an old galvanized pressure tank at our summer camp, where we drain the water each winter. What kind of sealing set-up am I likely to have on the sight glass, which is leaking at the bottom seal? I've been reluctant to get into this for fear of breaking the sight glass or having trouble...
  6. CharlieNH

Strange oversized kitchen sink drain basket

Let me see if I can get a picture posted here.
  7. CharlieNH

Actually the disposal is gone and the basket came from a junk shop and had to be adapted. I can't find oversized baskets of strainers anywhere.
  8. CharlieNH

I have an old SS sink unit, and on one side there is a larger than standard drain basket, probably as a replacement for a waste grinder. I'm trying to find a strainer of any type that will work in this basket. I'm also curious as to what the basket originally came from, since no plumbing...
  9. CharlieNH

How to remove thread compound?

I had to take out the suction pipe to my Sears shallow well pump, and the previous connection had been done with thread compund instead of teflon tape, so there's a lot of residue of thread compound in the female threads in the plastic pump body. Aside from doing the best I can with a...
  10. CharlieNH

Washing Machine -Warm Cycle is not warm

Take off the hot water supply hose from the back of the washing machine and you may find a clogged screen filter where the water goes into the machine. That would be the easiest situation.
  11. CharlieNH

PEX connection to TOTO toilet

The TOTO toilet came with a cone washer and compression nut. Can I just run my PEX through that and tighten onto the threaded bottom of the flush valve? Or do I need to use one of the adapters that puts the cone washer onto a brass connector that goes through the compression nut, and then...
  12. CharlieNH

faucet connector to male nipple?

I have a flexible faucet hose with a 1/2 FIP connector. Can I connect this to a 1/2 male thread, such as on a male nipple. That's what comes out of the ball valve for the cold water supply. The threads seem right and the rubber gasket would seem to seal against the end of the nipple, which...
  13. CharlieNH

unscrewing old pipe without threads breaking

pipe access The pipe goes up about six feet into the wall from the open basement ceiling. To try to turn it I use a long pipe that slides up inside it and pin the two together with a grade 8 bolt. I can just get access with an angle drill to put the hole I need through the pipe, but I can't...
  14. CharlieNH

Can't get at it The trouble is that I can't get at it to cut it there, which is what I first hoped to do.
  15. CharlieNH

I'd like to try unscrewing a section of 1-1/2 inch galvanized pipe from a vent line inside a wall, but not if there is a high risk that it will break off at the threads where it goes into a heavy, probably cast iron, elbow up in the wall, as that would make the reconnection of the new vent...
  16. CharlieNH

pump motor problem

Thanks for your suggestion. I started to work my way into the motor but the bolts and the case were so encrusted with rust and gunk that I decided to put this 56 year old system to rest and replace it with a new one that I hope is equally reliable. Even half as reliable will get me through my...
  17. CharlieNH

Repairing a Foot Valve

foot valve I just had a well/pump service company at my house last week to replace the deep well jet pump in my basement, and I asked them about the foot valve replacement situation. Mine is fine now, but I wanted to know what might lie ahead. My pump connects with the well with PVC pipe, and...
  18. CharlieNH

pump motor problem

I have an old (circa 1952) motor jet pump system. Motor rotates freely by hand. Replaced two starting capacitors and thought that would fix the problem. All I get is a buzz, and sometimes very slight movement in the shaft. This is a Fairbanks Morse 1HP motor operating on 220. Access to the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks