How hard to replace sight glass on old pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

CharlieNH

Reaction score
The sight glass on my old galvanized pressure tank is so dirty that it's hard to see through, and the seals leak for a couple of weeks in the spring when I bring water into the system. (I drain everything for the winter at my camp.) Is the sight glass likely to break if I try to take it out? what kind of seals are used on these? This is my chance to do it because I just drained the system. Thanks for any advice.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Sorry I can't offer any help - but I 'm curious as to what you have there.
I have not seen or heard of a "pressure tank" with a sight glass. Is this just a storage tank or is there some sort of air-water separator (bladder) like a typical pressure tank?
Can you post a picture?
How many gallons is this tank?

CharlieNH

Reaction score
Hi -- It's a storage tank without a bladder. My pump feeds water into it from my dug well, and the pressure builds up to 50 psi before the pump shus off. Because of air leaks in the input or air dissolving in the water, I sometimes need to put in air from a compressor to get the right amount of air space back so the pump doesn't cycle too much. The tank is about 2 feet in diameter and 4-5 feet high. Sight glass is mounted between brass fittings along part of the side. I can post a picture at the end of the the week when I'm back up there at the camp. I'm surprised no one seems to have experience with these. It is quite old.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is quite old. A few of us older guys are probably all that have seen one. You can usually take them out and clean the glass. Put in a couple new o-rings and you are back in business. You might find a new one at some place like USA Bluebook.

CharlieNH

Reaction score
I got the glass tube out without any trouble. Cleaned out the rust.
1028161120b.jpg

The seal was "petrified" but not stuck to the glass. I suppose I could use an o-ring to reseal it, but I wondered if there is any more appropriate type of seal. Looks like the o=ring size would be 208, not sure how hard that is to find.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks