Search results

1. twigpig

Cutting out countertops for sinks

Verdeboy Yes I used a couple of diamond blades on a Porter Cable left blade skill saw. I used water when I cut outside cutting the blanks to length. I cut dry for the sink and cooktop holes inside (dust city). Changed the barings once. Used a cheapo Harbor Freight 4 1/2 angle grinder with...
  2. twigpig

Cutting out countertops for sinks

I bought a Bosch after I broke my old Craftsman jigsaw. No comparison. The Bosch is much smoother to operate. A quality tool with plenty of power. Play around with the orbital adjustment to see what cuts the best and still gives you an acceptably smooth cut. Get a pack of course blades and...
  3. twigpig

No hot water in New Orleans

I didn't know they called them T&P valves. It sounds like you know what I'm talking about though. The one way valve just upstream from the expansion tank going to the hot water heater. What does T&P stand for? Do they ever stick closed? Since they are just now getting around to posting the...
  4. twigpig

pexy little pixies

My wife has gone off the deep end with Harry Potter so I knew what you were talking about. I used pex when I plumbed my house. I liked using it and I am confident it will last. The blue and red lines look cool. The tools were expensive but were of good quality. I was concerned about the...
  5. twigpig

I got to thinking some more. There should be a one way valve on the supply line to the hot water heater to prevent the hot water backing into the cold water supply when the water expands when it is heated. Maybe that backflow valve got stuck closed. Hopefully some real plumbers chime in soon...
  6. twigpig

I worked with a bunch of firefighters from Chicago last September down in New Orleans. The NYFD and NOFD guys outcooked them though. They all worked hard. Anyway since the tank is over the living space is it possible that there is not enough water pressure to get it up and over? Some of...
  7. twigpig

Advice on how to seal test plug

Air testing pvc with compressed air is very dangerous and is a big no no. If the pvc pipe should fail the plastic parts will become shrapnel. You probably are wanting to use air so you don't have water in your lines over winter. In that case just drain the water out after the test where the...
  8. twigpig

Grey schedule 80 nipples for potable water

Thank you for the response. After seven years of building we were hoping to final in a few weeks.
  9. twigpig

Grey schedule 80 nipples for potable water

At the sugestion of a local hardware store I used gray schedule 80 nipples in the cold water supply system. They said the joints were stronger than glued pvc and were good for potable water. I was at HD getting some fittings so I can test a fire sprinkler system and needed a couple of 1/2"...
  10. twigpig

PEX connections

I plumbed my house with Rehau. I think the connections are very durable. The manufacturers recomend that you only use their fittings and tools. That said I had to replace a couple of valves for toilets in the double wide we are living in until the new house is done. This house has the old...
  11. twigpig

Kitchen sink wobble

I went to install a full size Kohler cast iron top mount self rimming kitchen sink on a granite slab. It wobbles from one corner to the opposite corner by about an eighth of an inch. I called the plumbing supply place I bought it and at first they were going to exchange it for me. Then they...
  12. twigpig

Shower drain washers.

I finally have the insulation behind the shower and I am putting the one piece fiberglass shower in. I bought an Oatey drain a couple of years ago when I was installing the dwv system and I can't find the instructions. Which washer goes on the finished side of the shower and which one goes...
  13. twigpig

fire sprinkler pressure tank(s)

I designed and installed a fire sprinkler system in the house I am building. The fire system has three CPVC legs. Each leg ends at a toilet so every time we flush it puts fresh water in the system. I had planned on using pressure tanks to supply the system since I'm on a well. However, I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks