Grey schedule 80 nipples for potable water

Users who are viewing this thread

twigpig

Reaction score
At the sugestion of a local hardware store I used gray schedule 80 nipples in the cold water supply system. They said the joints were stronger than glued pvc and were good for potable water. I was at HD getting some fittings so I can test a fire sprinkler system and needed a couple of 1/2" threaded pvc nipples for the volume test. I was surprised to see printed on a lable "for outdoor use only". I asked the HD plumbing guys and they said that grey pvc fittings are not for potable water.
when I got home I tried to look up the specs. for Spears grey schedule 80 threaded pipe but had no luck. I found other pipe, fittings and valves though. I really don't want to take this system apart and start over. It took me quite a while to get all of the fittings to stop leaking. It is dry as a bone now. Because of the fire sprinkler system and the required booster pump and 300 gal tank the plumbing got a little complicated. So can gray threaded schedule 80 nipples be used in potable water systems for the cold supply water in the garage? I used PEX for the regular house plumbing and Spears Blazemaster cpvc for the fire sprinkler system. I put a 75 lb. preassure releif valve at the booster pump.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

I have never heard of such a thing, although HD's threaded nipples may be ABS or schedule 40 PVC. I use sch. 80 gray PVC for water pipe, threaded or glued, whenever it is the best product for the application.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks