Search results

1. Martini

Leaking shut off valve, gate valve

The right side of the valve goes outside to the spigot. Do you think it would weaken support? I'm nervous that the wood works as a support beam.
  2. Martini

Leaking shut off valve, gate valve

I have a shut off valve that goes to an outside spigot that leaks when it's turned on (the packing nut is cracked). Is it possible to replace just the nut and the insides? If that's possible, I'd rather do that then cut it out as my plumbing skills are limited and as shown in the pic, there is...
  3. Martini

Did I have a frozen pipe that burst?

That's ONE of many hypotheses, and it's regarding IF there's a Mpemba effect at all. However, it would not apply to water in pipes as much as water in an open system. There's no air or other empty spaces in water pipes for any gasses and minerals to be driven out into. Sure, in vertical pipes...
  4. Martini

Did you see the peer-reviewed, journal published paper I linked to? What you linked to says some of the same things: From the link in your link: I since have spoken to two plumbers, and they both told me they encounter burst pipes in the cold water line far more frequently.
  5. Martini

Or maybe there's no Mpemba effect at all. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5121640/ Regardless, it doesn't seem to be a factor with freezing pipes. The water in which pipes that are kept warm is not going to freeze before pipes in which there is colder water. All plumbers know...
  6. Martini

Water meter seems fine. I'm letting it trickle a little faster now, but just on the cold water side. I don't need to let hot water trickle too, do I?
  7. Martini

Oops. I think that's my gas meter. Phew! I'll go check water meter.
  8. Martini

It's 12° F here in NJ. I let a trickle of water run out of my two sinks in the basement- old, poorly insulated house. I checked this morning and the main sink was no longer trickling. I tried turning on both hot and cold. Nothing. I took a hair dryer and put it on the cold water pipe for about...
  9. Martini

Bathtub trouble with drain

I was able to hook it up from a basement crawl space. It was undone both vertically and horizontally. Apparently whoever hooked it up the first time didn't screw the PVC pipe in where it connects vertically to the drain.
  10. Martini

But I never messed with the adjustment and it was working fine before. If I can't get it to work, should I assume water will be leaking within the walls if I leave it like that?
  11. Martini

Looking at it again, I'm not so sure anything has turned, but I still can't get it together properly.
  12. Martini

I wanted to snake out my bathtub drain, so I removed the cover for the switch that stops up the drain if you want to fill the bathtub. I took out the heavy stopper and I dropped the whole assembly into the wall. I managed to hook it out with a clothes hanger and seemingly put it back together...
  13. Martini

Fixing a toilet

Another thing that makes me think there's something going on besides a clog, is that after the tank is done filling, you can hear and see the water level going down in the bowl.
  14. Martini

Fixing a toilet

Do you think my best bet would be removing the toilet and see what's going on?
  15. Martini

Fixing a toilet

What's wrong with my toilet? I flush it and the level in the bowl gets real high and doesn't flush. The tank fills up and then the water in the bowl leaks down the drain slowly until it's almost empty. Isn't that defying gravity? I tried using a toilet auger on it and it doesn't seem to be...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks