Fixing a toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Martini, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Martini

Martini New Member

What's wrong with my toilet?

I flush it and the level in the bowl gets real high and doesn't flush. The tank fills up and then the water in the bowl leaks down the drain slowly until it's almost empty. Isn't that defying gravity?

I tried using a toilet auger on it and it doesn't seem to be clogged. Anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong? Any help would be much appreciated as if I don't fix it soon, my wife's going to make me call a plumber.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sounds like you have a clog. A toilet auger is only in the order of maybe 5'...the clog could easily be further along the drain. It is also possible that the auger did not remove what may be actually in the toilet's trap. Something like a small toy, a pencil, pen, etc., can catch the solids and paper, but let the auger go buy. It takes some finesse sometimes to catch it and remove.
  3. Martini

Martini New Member

Do you think my best bet would be removing the toilet and see what's going on?
  4. Martini

Martini New Member

Another thing that makes me think there's something going on besides a clog, is that after the tank is done filling, you can hear and see the water level going down in the bowl.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Clogs are seldom complete...the water will seep through the restriction, allowing the level to recede eventually. Removing the toilet would give you access to the line to snake it out since you can't do it well through the toilet. If there is a cleanout nearby, that would be possible without removing the toilet. It would also give you the oppportunity to see if there is a toy, pencil, crayon, etc., caught in the toilet.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

To some degree this is normal. It also may be a cracked bowl and the lowered water level is causing the weak flush. Its hard to say as we are not there to check it out and we are getting symptoms piecemeal without being sure of accuracy.

You are going to lift the toilet anyway to check the wax ring and inspect the trapway for an object. Use this opporitunity to check for a crack and leakage.