Search results

1. InspectorGadget

Crimped copper connections?

I was just at a local parade of homes and one of the $1,000,000+ houses had lots of interesting plumbing to look at. One thing that I had not seen before was a 2" supply from the city for a single residence. The other thing was crimped copper fittings. I think that these fittings were about...
  2. InspectorGadget

SharkBite fittings

Sharkbite vs. John Guest? Is there much difference between the Sharkbite fittings and a John Guest fitting? It seems like installation is the same; I am just wondering if there are folks that have used both and have a preference. I have a project where I need to attach a copper icemaker line...
  3. InspectorGadget

PEX replumb

I had some plumbers out to quote me the price of replacing my galvanized pipe with something more modern. Both of the plumbers stated that they would use PEX for the remodel work. They said that they prefer to use copper for new construction and PEX as replacement pipe. PEX is also pretty safe...
  4. InspectorGadget

"ez-sweat" copper fittings vs. old school sweating

I picked up a few of these just to see if they were any better or made installation easier. They are about 2-3 times the price of conventional fittings but the ones that I got seem to be holding. Same rules apply to these: clean the pipe and fitting, flux well, heat fitting. Only difference is...
  5. InspectorGadget

Mystery Toliet Saga

It could be either the vents or a blockage farther down the pipe somewhere. There is also the chance that something is stuck in your vent, bird, squirrel, duck etc. I had an unusual slow drain like this once and I cleared it by going to the roof with a water hose and running the hose down the...
  6. InspectorGadget

Is toilet/flange joint supposed to be watertight?

The seal should be water tight and this is usually done by the application of a wax ring. However, when I demolished my 75 year old toilet prior to a remodeling job, I was surprised to discover that there was some kind of rubber seal on the closet flange and no wax anywhere. The toilet had not...
  7. InspectorGadget

Mixing materials in DWV

I know that it's not good practice to use dissimilar materials when soldering, cementing, or chemical welding. What about compression fittings? I have ABS in the wall for drainage. Can I use PVC from the bottom of the sink, as a p-trap, and then connect the PVC directly to the ABS with a...
  8. InspectorGadget

water dripping from ceiling

Is there any chance that the water is coming down an exterior wall form outdoors? Do the drops appear when it rains outside? Can you stop using the water in that room for a couple of days to see if the water goes away? If you answer no to all of those, it's time to open the ceiling up and...
  9. InspectorGadget

Flux and solder

If you are concerned about the speed of heating look at the type of gas you are using and the type of fitting that you are heating. I use a propane torch and it usually takes 5-10 seconds for the fitting to get to the correct temp. Some gasses burn hotter and may get you there faster. If you are...
  10. InspectorGadget

Sediment in hot water pipes?

Sorry to hear about the hot water issue. While I am not nearly as experienced as most of the guys on this forum, I would have a hard time believing that you problem is due to hard water buildup in the copper pipes. If you drained the pipes and water heater recently, then you may have some air...
  11. InspectorGadget

Galvanized supply pipe removal

Turns out you guys were correct. This project required the purchase of a 14" and an 18" pipe wrench. Also, I had to squirt some penetrating oil on the threads and wait a few minutes. Once those few minutes were up, I put the 14" wrench on the fitting and the 18" one on the pipe. With every...
  12. InspectorGadget

Kohler Memoirs quality problems

Also, be careful when you tighten the bolts to the toilet, the drain to the sink, and the faucet to the sink. I have a good friend who has cracking enamel in every place that a bolt or screw could be tightened. Kohler told him that the plumber overtightened everything but you never know. I'll...
  13. InspectorGadget

Galvanized supply pipe removal

I re-plumbed most of my basement about a year ago with CPVC and it has held up well. Up until now, I have been able to go around the existing galvanized supply lines without touching them but I finally have to cut into them due to a bathroom remodel. I've read many times that the way to get...
  14. InspectorGadget

Motivation

Dear Terry and other pro's who post, Thank you so much for all of the advice in these forums. I have learned a ton from reading about all of the issues that other DIYers have. It's good to know that I am not alone in these battles and I find myself becoming a plumbing geek. I try to guess...
  15. InspectorGadget

Push 'n Go Fittings?

Thanks for the feedback. I did some research on John Guest fittings and they do indeed look very similar to the Push 'n Go fittings. Push 'n Go is available in 1/2 and 3/4 inch sizes as well as some specialty fittings for icemakers and humidifiers. Has anyone used them in sizes larger...
  16. InspectorGadget

Galvanized pipe removal

I am currently in the same boat as you (Novice, galvanized, leaking etc.) I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel so I was able to remove the drywall behind the sink and then I hired a local plumber to come in and replace all of my galvanized/cast iron drain lines. I thought the cost was pretty...
  17. InspectorGadget

Push 'n Go Fittings?

Just curious if anyone has used a new product called Push 'n Go? They are available for sale here in Wisconsin at Menards which is a regional home improvement store. The manufacturer says that these fittings can be used to join dis-similar plumbing materials together (Copper, PEX, CPVC). The...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks