Mixing materials in DWV

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by InspectorGadget, May 29, 2005.

1. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget New Member

I know that it's not good practice to use dissimilar materials when soldering, cementing, or chemical welding.

What about compression fittings?

I have ABS in the wall for drainage. Can I use PVC from the bottom of the sink, as a p-trap, and then connect the PVC directly to the ABS with a compression fitting? Any long term problems associated with this?

Steve
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If you mean using tubular fittings under the sink and connecting at the wall with a slip-joint adapter, this is very normal.