Search results

1. Garydaplummer

Ball valves in pvc pipe

hj it's the old case of the dreamers and the doers. The engineers use all their books, charts, and tables to dream it up but it's up to us in the field to make it really happen.
  2. Garydaplummer

Ball valves in pvc pipe

"thermal expansion, external forces or other situations can cause breakage or leaking at or near the joint" I've personally never had this happen in my 25+ years in the trade and I've used brass ball valves with PVC and CPVC male adapters almost all the time. I don't expect I'll change this...
  3. Garydaplummer

Ball valves in pvc pipe

I always use brass ball valves with PVC. Over the years I've found PVC ball valves to become hard to open and close after being installed for a while. Probably the biggest thing to realize when installing a brass threaded valve onto PVC threads is that it is easy to cross thread the valve onto...
  4. Garydaplummer

White specks in water

I have a customer who was experiencing whilte specks in their kitchen faucet, a pull-out sprayer type Delta. The faucet aerator was getting blocked by them. I took the spray head off the hose and ran water in a glass, it only came from the hot water. These specks were soft to the touch. I...
  5. Garydaplummer

Soil pipe cutter equivalent for ABS

Cable cutter Can you get a cable behind it? I use one of those cable cutters with rings on the ends for tight spaces. Only problem with ABS is that sometimes it wants to melt back together.
  6. Garydaplummer

Battery Back-Up Sump Pump

Tried them I've tried a couple of the Basement Watchdog backups and they seem to be good units. I would only use their battery backup though and not their main sump pumps. My preference after installing a few of these systems is the setup made by Zoeller. I trust their sump pumps and they...
  7. Garydaplummer

mobile home kitchen sink question

Website I don't get into much mobile home work but there is a very good website for questions called mobilehomerepair.com . They can answer any questions you have regarding mobile homes, I have contacted them regarding a heating issue and they got right back with a reply. Mobile home work can...
  8. Garydaplummer

Woodford Y34 hydrant

OOPS, didn't even look at the model number. I'm in fall in Pennsylvania mode, reminding my customers to disconnect their hoses.
  9. Garydaplummer

Woodford Y34 hydrant

Provided... That is provided it extends into a heated space where it actually shuts off. I say this because a customer had one freeze and burst but the seat end of it was still inside the exterior wall, the contractor who originally installed it did not use a long enough model. And don't...
  10. Garydaplummer

PVC to CPVC Adapters

Threaded adapter Why don't you stick a 1/2" PVC by male adapter on then a threaded ball valve and a 1/2" CPVC by male adapter out of that. That way you'd have a shutoff valve right where the line comes up through the slab. Male & female threads are the same no matter what material you use...
  11. Garydaplummer

Black Pipe / Flange Strength

Weld Flanges Instead of threaded flanges go to a supply house that handles commercial pipefitting supplies and see if they have or can get you slip-on weld flanges. They will slide over the end of the pipe and are made for welded applications. That way you don't need to mess with cutting...
  12. Garydaplummer

Getting ripped off?

Around here I know in this area the curb stop is where the water company's responsibility ends, but the valve is included in their responsibility. Most water companies here will turn the water off and back on for free, but they are clear to tell you if you or your plumber turn it back on and...
  13. Garydaplummer

New washer, drain backs-up

Yes Based on the example shown, I'd say yes.
  14. Garydaplummer

Bradford white issue

Surrendered! Thanks for all your replies, after the BW tech rep could offer no clear solution we decided to call in the reinforcements. The local rep steered me toward a local contractor who does all their factory service work. I spoke to the homeowner and he found there was a problem with...
  15. Garydaplummer

Bradford white issue

Having a problem with a BW 40 gallon gas power vent, 7 years old. The water heater stopped working and I checked it out, the ignitor was not heating up. Replaced the ignitor and the problem did not go away. As soon as the unti is plugged in the blower starts and that's all. Called the local...
  16. Garydaplummer

Leaks in lead joints

Don't air test Lead joints are not designed to be air tight they are designed to be water tight. Once the oakum gets water against it it will swell and seal the joint, the lead keeps it in place. Chances are your existing lead joint is just fine. the cast iron institute, spokespeople for the...
  17. Garydaplummer

Covering PEX stubouts

What have you plumbers used to cover PEX tubing where the stubouts are exposed? I have a couple places on a job where I had to come up through the floor for toilet supplies and would like to cover the PEX with something for appearance purposes.
  18. Garydaplummer

Urine Smell

Similar issue Have a customer with three small boys, but big enough to stand up and pee "like a man". He experienced a urine smell at a couple of the toilets the boys used most of the time. I pulled one of them and the floor under the toilet was encrusted with dried urine. He cleaned it up...
  19. Garydaplummer

Quasar toilet (WC) - need tank

Try this place Look inside the tank and see if you can find the model number stamped in. Then take a look at this place, they may have or be able to get you what you need. Do make sure you're not spending more on this "vintage" toilet tank than a new replacement toilet would cost you...
  20. Garydaplummer

Quasar toilet (WC) - need tank

Contact AS Redwood's right with the numbers, it's listed as an IAPMO approved 1.6 gallon toilet manufactured by American Standard with those listing numbers. Try contacting AS, but they do not make this model any longer. Good luck.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks