Issue with New Tank & Water Smell

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First time in this Forum, usually in the Toilet section.

We had a new American Water Heater brand Electric 50 gallon tank installed, and since that time, the Hot water smells "Earthy". The technician and his assistant (who originally installed it) came by and said they couldn't smell it. It was cloudy at first because of the aeration but turned clear. The water is blazing hot, which we like, so it's not Listeria or any bacteria growth, I think?

However, both I and my housekeeper can smell it.

They tried draining the tank and the solar panels, but the issue persists. We did not have this issue on our old tank, which had to be replaced due to it developing a leak.

What should I do? Deal with it?

Reach4

Reaction score
No, it's on Glendale, AZ city water. Hard water though. No smell with cold.
I think could be just coincident timing: https://www.glendaleaz.com/utilities/Taste.cfm It may be that the heating releases some more scent that is not so noticeable in the cold.

It is also possible that there is something growing in your roof panels. This could occur if there was not enough residual chlorine in your water. Can you introduce some chlorine bleach to sanitize those? A whole house filter housing is one possible place for that. Don't hit the water softener resin with a strong chlorine dose, but the resin should see some chlorine during the sanitizing process.

I would get some low range free chlorine test strips, such as Hach 2745050 or LaMotte 2964-G. You would like to see some residual chlorine in your hot water faucets I think. Or at least sanitize your hot water system including heater and roof plumbing with a shock treatment and keep some free chlorine in the water before the sanitized stuff.
Ahh... even more sensitive is LaMotte 2963-LR strips. It does total chlorine, which should give a higher number, and says it is sensitive down to 0.1 ppm.

I am not a pro.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks