Advise for pulling a pump in Honduras

Users who are viewing this thread

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Jim,

Unfortunately, Craigpump and Valveman are correct. With the clearances between the pump and well casing, there is no way to snake a tube large enough to carry drilling mud around the pump. Not to mention around the occlusion, too. Therefore the mud pumping idea of mine isn't any good here. What a dilemma.

RADAR

JimKiefer

Reaction score
That is awesome Valveman!!!!! I will sure keep that in mind. I am traveling down Dec 30th to perform a wedding for one of the orphans that has grown up through the program. I am sure hopeful to have this resolved by then!

Jim

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can find no fault with the pvc sleeve, we used to sleeve every well in San Diego County as a way to protect the well from tremors. Even a steel sleeve will break of there is an earthquake.

The question is, what can you do to repair the well if the liner is compromised? Installing a 3" pump isn't gonna fix it, if anything, you may loose the rest of the hole if the gravel begins to migrate into the liner.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Problem:
Neighbor kids left water open and ran pump dry and burned pump out.

The bend in the casing was an act of God, whereas the lack of a low pressure switch or other protection device was a sin of omission. For the sake of $200, you lost several thousand. Be sure you get a real pump guy or one on Skype next time you refit the hole.

Blast it off and set the pump near the glitch if you have water there. Restrict the flow to match the production of water and let it run full time if need be. Be sure water can only be drawn from the outlet of the tank, and not the feed line up the hill.

I would first hook up to the backhoe and gently raise the string repeatedly against the obstruction, chipping away at 'it'. You might just batter the pump past it. Also, one may assume that the weakest link is the outlet head on the pump, and it may just drop to the bottom. Then you don't need to blast, which I suspect would be very problematic in that neck of the woods.

Also, I don't think you told us the standing water level or the GPM that the well produces. Useful info.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I can find no fault with the pvc sleeve, we used to sleeve every well in San Diego County as a way to protect the well from tremors. Even a steel sleeve will break of there is an earthquake.

I wouldn't have thought that. I guess the plastic casing may bend where the steel would break? Maybe they should use poly for casing.

JimKiefer

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the input and advice! Our current dilemma is...how do we get the existing pump out and a new one in without destroying the well. We are attempting to get a hold of the drill company to help...but remember...Third world country...very limited resources. Only one company has the equipment to dig a deep well so we are trying to get all of the help/advice we can to get the best outcome possible for the orphanage and family who oversee it. A handful of small churches here in the states fund them and we are currently putting together funds for the expenses.

Thanks again for advice!

P.S. he really liked the blasting cap idea:) but doesn't think they are available.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Luckily for you the pump is set on steel pipe so you still have a bunch more pulling capacity. I've never used one but some well guys swear by a walking beam and a set of jars. It basically jars the pipe up and down while pulling. Great at getting stuck stuff out.

JimKiefer

Reaction score
O.K. I have done some searching and understand what the walking beam and jars are and how they were used to dig a well. What I did not find was how to use it to pull something out of a well... Can anyone enlighten me? Is there a special connector used? I can see how this might work and that it could very easily jerk things apart if it wasn't set up properly...

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only problem with a set of jars is that you have no control over where the pipe comes apart. Could be at 100' 200' or maybe at the pump....

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The only problem with a set of jars is that you have no control over where the pipe comes apart. Could be at 100' 200' or maybe at the pump....

he said he has a backhoe. Its likely that a good operator could "jar" the string up and down and since its a new steel pipe string, it's a good bet the break will occur at the pump. He said they don't have blasting caps. Maybe you could get a hand grenade quicker in Honduras, but that would be hard to place correctly. I just think with the limits they have on contractors and knowledge, that is their best bet.

JimKiefer

Reaction score
I'm Back again for an update and more advice.
Barry pulled past the obstruction. Once it was past it got tight and he was able to pull several more sections of pipe before the string broke approx. 60' below the surface with 9 sections of 20' pipe remaining. He has made a tool out of 3" pipe with teeth welded inside and pointing up so that he can drop it over the 1 1/2" pipe and start pulling again.

Any suggestions if that does not work? Does anyone have a picture of a tool that might work better that we can duplicate. I am flying out on Dec 30th to be there for 8 days. I have a little time to gather tools/supplies if you have suggestions.

Also, The well driller has visited and wants him to get the pump out (maybe he doesn't have a tool??? or is just unwilling??? I don't know) and then he will come with his rig and sleeve or replace the casing and charge $5,000 to set the well back up with a new pump. Our church has gathered the funds and I will be ready to pay the man when I get there. Just need to get the pump out of the way.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm on the road, on my way home from the NGWA convention in Las Vegas. I'll take a couple of pictures of homemade fishing tools and post them or send them to you. I teach fishing classes at the state level.

I usually try to grab underneath a pipe coupler, so that I am pulling by the coupler rather than just a friction grab.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like this type tool for retrieving lost 1" pipe. It runs in on 2", the pipe slides up inside and the narrower fingers catch under the coupling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 271

JimKiefer

Reaction score
Craigpump, I think that is what Barry has built for his attempt. I will forward that picture to be sure. That looks like it would work, simple to make too.

I would appreciate your ideas Boycedrilling!

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
I briefly had an image of a tool run through my mind, but I don't have a pix of it, since it is just in my mind. It is similar to what Craig posted, but my idea would be more akin to a "butterfly" valve in a carburetor. The rig that Craig posted a pix of looks like a really excellent tool. The design and usefulness is going to be hard to match. It would be much stronger and easier to fabricate than what I had in mind.

I would like to see images of the fishing tools that Boyce has to suggest.

JimKiefer

Reaction score
THE PUMP IS OUT!!! Worked into the night last night and cleared the hole. Thank you all for your advice.
First attempt did not go well, tool was made and lowered down to pipe. Instead of hooking it, it broke loose and fell to the bottom of the well (400'). Added more pipe until it was reached and this time the tool caught and it came up slow without too much problem. Working now to get the well man back with his camera so the casing can be examined, fixed, and the well can be put back in service.

Thank you all again!

I am leaving for Honduras on the 30th with my wife and daughter, hopefully it will all be back together before I arrive.

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice.

What failed when tugging on the galvanized pipe on the way up?

JimKiefer

Reaction score
I am not sure. I am in Missouri and Barry is pulling the pump in Honduras. Limited communications so we stick mostly to the important points. I will know more once I get on-site next week and hear the complete version of the story. For now I just hope that the well crew doesn't take too much time off for the holidays and can come work on it Mon-Wed next week and get it back on-line. We have a wedding to do on Jan 1.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Jim,

Hey, that is great news! I am extremely happy to hear that Barry (I hope I have your friend's name correct) managed to get the pump and pipe up and out of the hole. I am sure that everyone involved in this project is relieved by this advancement into the well repair progress.

"This is why we work hard and continue to struggle, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people and particularly of all believers." 1 Timothy 4:10

Gordy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks