HELP! Mystery under basement floor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Palm329

Reaction score
1957 ranch-style house with basement. Original house plumbing is 3" main stack serving 2 upstairs bathrooms, and 2" second stack serving kitchen, as well as basement utility sink and floor drains. Sewer is public under street.

Around early 1960s previous owners partially furnished basement, and I believe basement bathroom was added at this time. That bathroom was functional until I removed it 2 years ago - was in horrible condition. I plugged the pipes after removing the fixtures, etc, but it was toilet, sink, and shower.

Anyway this week I started installing a interior perimeter drain & sump pump system to deal with water issues and of course I decided I'd start digging near the old bathroom, so I can pull out the old pipes and clean it all up when I re-cement the floor. This is what I've found and I'm trying to figure out how to continue.

Overview of the scene: (Street sewer is in the direction of the wall there with the water main entrance, main stack at left, old basement bathroom lav and vent pipes were located in the verticle line where the block wall was cut out at right)

Basement shower drain at bottom, then toilet drain, then lav towards top:

3" metal toilet pipe slopes down into some sort of squarish cement "box". 4" ring on top of cement box, with 1.5" metal pipe stuck into it. This 1.5" pipe then runs down and connects under shower drain using sanitary T. This T then heads down into the dirt even further - I haven't made it that far yet! Also, in front of and below cement box, is another buried cement structure. This structure has a 1" metal pipe coming off the top of it, then hooking to the side and turning down into the dirt further. What could this be??

View back towards 3" main stack:

My line diagram and questions:

Thanks so much for your assistance and any opinions on this. Should I call a professional immediately? I just intended to remove the unused pipes and cap things off, but I wasn't expecting to find cement boxes and strange pipes under here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Palm329

Reaction score
No cleanout that I can see... plus, the whole thing is about 24" below the floor level. And it was all cemented over / no access. (Not that I'd put it past the previous owners to do so)

I mean even if we disregard the concrete boxes down there, the shower drain heads straight down past that sanitary T which connects into the top of the concrete box... where a toilet also connects to. Assuming the box is hollow, one would assume sewer gases would flow through that connection and then via the sani-T then up throught the shower drain. (trap, if there is one, is somewhere further down the pipe below the sani-T.

Obviously this is so ridiculous it's impossible right? Could the concrete box hold a backflow valve? If so, still, why the connection to the shower drain? Unless that's a poor-mans air vent? (Pull air one-way down through the shower drain?) Plus the other 1" pipe into the concrete device? Obviously it can't carry waste, so what is it? Some sort of priming inlet?

Fixing other people's mistakes in this house has cost me so much money and when I look down this hole, I'm looking at thousands more I guess. Or maybe I can just plug things up and re-bury it.

Magneto

Reaction score
Seems like you have yourself in a mess here. I honestly haven't the slightest idea what that is. I'm curious to find out myself....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks