Boiler Still Cycling On @ 80*

Users who are viewing this thread

FMcCracken

Reaction score
We have a steam radiant heat system, oil fed, with hot water on demand - no hot water storage tank.

It's been in the 70's and 80's for the past few weeks. We noticed at night, when it's quiet, we can hear the steam pipe vents hissing. What??? I figured the thermostat was set high due to a cool night and went to check. Nope. Was set to lowest temperature allowed.

Figuring the thermostat was broken, I disconnected all 4 wires. The furnace still cycles on.

A buddy told me that the hot water thermostat (Honeywell, grey, dial is horizontal) was at a too high a temperature setting (180*). I lowered it to 160*. Steam heat still cycles on, but less frequently (I think). Room thermostat still disconnected.

With this lower setting though, we don't have consistent hot water. It's hot when turned on. A minute later it's ice cold. 3 minutes later it's hot again, but fluctuates back to cold 30 seconds at a time every few minutes.

Anyone have an idea what's going on and what needs to be replaced/ fixed/ addressed?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
On a steam system any time the boiler fires there will be some change in volume of the water and water-vapor/air in the pipes, but it shouldn't be enough to hear a constant hiss from the vents.

What boiler model/make, and how is the domestic hot water being heated?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks