Recent content by Tub Refinisher

1. Tub Refinisher

shower stall keeps leaking despite re-caulking everything

How was it "re-caulked'? Was all the old caulk completely removed? What type of caulk was there originally (silicone or latex), how was it removed, and what type was it replaced with? If the original was silicone, it may not have been removed thoroughly, and the new caulk isn't sticking to...
  2. Tub Refinisher

Grout Sealing Question

Thanks for the link, John. Due to the fact that he only has the one bathroom and we needed to get it back in service ASAP, I used the spray on sealer from Miracle.
  3. Tub Refinisher

Marks on tile from Regrout Job

Well I finished my re-grouting job. Since my Fein Multimaster was stolen, I bought a new Porter Cable oscillating tool and 2 diamond bits (one came with it) to do the job. Everything was fine until about 2/3 of the way through, when my brand new tool starting making a horrible noise, and the...
  4. Tub Refinisher

Grout Sealing Question

Thanks for all the input guys. The job is done and it turned out good. The only problem was I slipped with the tool a few times. Didn't cit the tile, just left a mark. I'm starting a new thread for input on how to remove the marks. Appreciate any input on the new thread. Barry
  5. Tub Refinisher

Grout Sealing Question

Since I'm just re-grouting an existing installation, I don't need to be concerned about thinset, do I?
  6. Tub Refinisher

Grout Sealing Question

Thanks for the response, Jim. So if I'm understanding you right, I should be able to apply the sealer 2 hours after the grout installation. Then what about getting it wet (taking a shower)? Do I just follow the sealer mfg's recommendation for that (I think it's 24 hours)? Thanks for the...
  7. Tub Refinisher

Grout Sealing Question

I'm going to be re-grouting a ceramic tile tub surround for a friend. I plan on removing the existing grout with an oscillating tool and a diamond blade, and re-grouting with Mapei Keracolor Unsanded white (on white tile). I'm a bit confused on when the sealing process should be done...
  8. Tub Refinisher

Porcelain surface eaten up in bathtub...

While a refinishing job won't last as long as the original, it should be a viable alternative for you if you keep in mind a few things. One, the major portion of the cost of replacement is busting up the old tub, and replacing the tile around it, and the plumbing as well. Since the new one...
  9. Tub Refinisher

new home buyer with a cracked tub

Drilling holes and injecting foam is a widely used and very successful method for this type of repair. Many experienced bathtub refinishers do it. You just need someone who has experience and uses the special foam kits that are made for this, and not some stuff from Home Depot.
  10. Tub Refinisher

New toilet still won't flush

Had a plumber out this morning. He used a power auger in the cleanout and now all's well. Oh well, my wife likes the new toilet anyway... Barry
  11. Tub Refinisher

New toilet still won't flush

My toilet got clogged up and was spewing water from the mounting bolts when it was flushed. I tried snaking, plunging, replacing wax ring, snaking toiled from underneath - still wouldn't flush, so I figured it was totally jammed up. So I purchase a new toilet and install and IT STILL WON'T...
  12. Tub Refinisher

Caulk removal question

Ceramic tile is pretty hard to scratch, but you can use 220 grit if you're worried about it, it'll just take longer. Besides, if you're careful, you should only be sanding an area that's going to be covered again with caulk anyway. Barry
  13. Tub Refinisher

Caulk removal question

Acetone will soften it up a bit. I also use 80 grit sandpaper, then wipe with acetone, then sandpaper again, and again, and again. You get to where you can feel the residue with your fingertip. Sometimes it's very hard to see. There are some softeners on the market, but I haven't found one...
  14. Tub Refinisher

Shower Valve needs replacement?

You guys are FANTASTIC! I just went down to the local plumbing supply store and got a new balancing spool, installed it, and it works great! Many thanks to all who responded. I really appreciate the quick, accurate diagnosis, and part identification. It's great to have it working properly...
  15. Tub Refinisher

Shower Valve needs replacement?

OK, I'll try that, thanks. Any idea who the mfg is?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks