Grout Sealing Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Tub Refinisher

Tub refinisher
Reaction score
Website
www.permaglazenorthdallas.com
I'm going to be re-grouting a ceramic tile tub surround for a friend. I plan on removing the existing grout with an oscillating tool and a diamond blade, and re-grouting with Mapei Keracolor Unsanded white (on white tile). I'm a bit confused on when the sealing process should be done. According to the Mapei instructions, it says:

6.6 Grout may be sealed after 21 days or according to manufacturer of sealer being used. Please read sealer
manufacturer’s instructions prior to proceeding

This is a condo with only one bathroom so I'm trying to achieve the quickest turnaround time without compromising on job quality. The sealer I bought is from Miracle Sealants Company and is a spray on type (511 Spray on grout sealer). It says it can be applied as soon as 2 hours after grouting. Quite a difference between 21 days and 2 hours. Am I safe by waiting only 2 hours?

Barry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Cement products strength is rated after a 28-day curing. During that curing, the cement is chemically adding water to its crystaline structure. As long as that is not inhibitied, you could probably do what you want to it and not affect the final strength and durability. It seems that the sealant implies it does not affect cure, and the grout manufacturer says it is okay, if the sealer says it's okay. Mapei is basically telling you when the grout is (nearly) fully cured, and if what you want to apply doesn't inhibit that, you should be okay.

Some of the spray-on grout sealants are quite toxic, and very nasty. Enough so that it could send you to the hospital. Don't know if that is one of them. Regardless, make sure you've got good ventillation (hard to do in a shower!), or you may regret using it - it's hard not to inhale some while installing when it's being sprayed around. I've not had any trouble applying stuff with a brush or sponge - getting it in an aerosol is asking for problems - it will get places you probably don't want it to go. Might be great stuff, but I'm not sure I'd use it. Do a little research on that type.

Tub Refinisher

Tub refinisher
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the response, Jim. So if I'm understanding you right, I should be able to apply the sealer 2 hours after the grout installation. Then what about getting it wet (taking a shower)? Do I just follow the sealer mfg's recommendation for that (I think it's 24 hours)?

Thanks for the warning on the fumes. I do have a respirator with canisters rated for organic vapors that i use for my glaze spraying. That should be sufficient, but I'll be careful none the less.

Barry

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I'd follow the instructions on the sealer. Basically, it's better to let the grout cure a couple of days before you step and shower in it especially if you use a modified thinset. A modified needs to both dry and cure to obtain its stated strength. Adding moisture to it by using the shower slows that down, and it isn't all that strong then, either. If you use a rapid set thinset, this shouldn't be an issue.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
No, the thinset should have been fully cured long ago on a regrout. But, if they used a mastic rather than a real thinset (hate the packaging that says 'thinset' on a bucket of mastic!), then if the grout had failed, it might be for various other reasons, like it had rehydrated, got soft, the tile moved, etc., or that they didn't use the proper backer, and the wall has swollen, cracking grout out.

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Hi Barry, Hi Jim, :)

Miracle is one of our sponsors, and they make some of the best products in the business. I'm not sold on spray-ons, though, maybe because I'm "ignert." :)

Mapei is talking about penetrating sealers, such as Miracle's Impregnator 511, sold at Home Depot, Lowes and tile stores. It's a great product that works best after the grout is partially cured -- 15 - 20 days. But you can use it as soon as the grout is dry, which usually takes 24 hours. :)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
An enhancing sealer is great for the right application...it is designed to make the porous stone appear wet, which brings out (enhances) the natural colors. But, it can do the same thing for grout...make it appear wet, which you may not want to do. Each manufacturer makes lots of configurations, some do not change the basic coloration of the tile or grout. So, understand what you want when selecting a sealer or you may be dissapointed. Generally, a glazed tile isn't a good candidate for an enhancing sealer since the only thing that generally will absorb it is the grout. It usually darkens the grout, whereas a 'normal' sealer doesn't.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
...whereas a 'normal' sealer doesn't.

Good point Jim. Aqua Mix makes an entire line of sealers.

Some solvent base. Most water based.

The enrich and seal does not darken the grout to much I have found and the other bathrooms finished with this same marble about 5 years look almost as good as these new floors do now.

I have never had much success with any other brand. I tried Miracle sealer from Home Depot once. It was a spray applicator and the floor was so slick we had to regrout and wash using the grout as a heavy abrasive to remove some of the film the sealer left behind. It was like spraying silca mist on the tile. Horrible.

Might be an off batch or a low end line that Home Depot carries. Aqua mix as shown I've been using for over a decade and when three of your tile and stone suppliers recommend it - and it works. Why try something new?

Grout refresh looks promising but I have never like using these coloured sealers. My strongest recommendation in tile selection is trying to convince my clients to select a gray or white grout. These two colours always hold up best.

JW

Last edited:

Tub Refinisher

Tub refinisher
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for all the input guys. The job is done and it turned out good. The only problem was I slipped with the tool a few times. Didn't cit the tile, just left a mark. I'm starting a new thread for input on how to remove the marks. Appreciate any input on the new thread.

Barry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks