Recent content by Tripp Knightly

1. Tripp Knightly

Navien NCB-240E: does the 3-way valve take the place of a check valve?

Navien told me: 5% household vinegar ok, pump should be very low power, can be 1/4 to 1/8hp. I had heard / read 1/6. Mine is 1/3 but I think I can make it weaker with a rheostat / speed control you’d hook up to a power tool.
  2. Tripp Knightly

Navien NCB-240e combi: domestic hot still flaky after replacing flow sensor…

So I took my shot. A failed flow sensor often causes unreliable domestic hot. Seemed fixed for a few days after I replaced (cheap on both part and my DIY time). Before going to the 3-way valve (above my pay grade!) would 5+ years of no de-scaling cause this? I have to de-scale and especially...
  3. Tripp Knightly

Not mine. No yearly maintenance. Maybe 7 years old. When I did the work yesterday I cleaned the debris trap (some silt!), air intake (nearly fine), water intake screen (nearly fine). I’m going to de-scale once I get some confirmation on the max HP transfer / utility pump I can use (have a...
  4. Tripp Knightly

I have an NCB-240E combi whose domestic hot is flaky (at best now, cold showers abound). Heating seems ok. I’ve seen on other Navien units that intermittent domestic hot could be fixed easily / cheaply with a replacement check valve. Am I right that on this unit it’s instead of the check valve...
  5. Tripp Knightly

Sewer gas coming up through toilet bowl itself

Got it. I thought we were looking for siphoning evidence that water seal was breaking as opposed to gas muscling its way into the bowl (same gas result either way I assume).
  6. Tripp Knightly

Thx for all the detail and I think I follow. I happen to have such tubing because I’m a pack rat and will keep things that I might use once in the next quarter century. One question re: If there is vacuum in the drain air, the water level in the tubing would drop relative to the level of the...
  7. Tripp Knightly

Refills and holds ok. Sewer. In a heavy wind I will see SOME motion on the bowl water surface but never have I seen a siphon where the level drops say 3” to the gurgle point.
  8. Tripp Knightly

(This isn’t just toilet related, so posting here.) I’m half expecting some of you to tell me I’m nuts but I’ll tell you anyway. I have a downstairs (ground level) toilet. If I close the seat cover say overnight and open it: pronounced sewer gas. If somebody right above upstairs showers...
  9. Tripp Knightly

Installing two 3-stage under-sink water filters in parallel for better flow

Well I took out the filter by connecting the feed to the output via a john guest union coupler. Flow rate was maybe 3% better, so seems like parallel filters is a non-starter.
  10. Tripp Knightly

Most common plumbing service calls that could have been DIY

Sewer gas odor caused by an evaporated trap in a rarely used drain (floor drain, guest shower...).
  11. Tripp Knightly

Installing two 3-stage under-sink water filters in parallel for better flow

I've seen discussions / blogs about doing parallel filter installs for whole-house filtration but nothing on doing it for a single-point solution (though I think GE makes a "dual-flow" single stage filter that does just this). I have a water dispenser faucet with a 1/4" connect. Based on...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks