Recent content by SWB

1. SWB

Garbage disposal / P-Trap Mismatch

Satisfactory? I've read that the trap depth should be 2–4 inches. I measure the depth on this one as about 4.25–4.5 inches.
  2. SWB

Ah, excellent. Thank you!
  3. SWB

I have a similar (but not identical) problem to one I've seen discussed here a number of times. I installed a newer (deeper) kitchen sink, and now my garbage disposal is lower. Most of the posts I've seen on this are from people whose disposal is now lower than their drain outlet, and the three...
  4. SWB

Removing Delta tub spout

Sure! Here you go: Thanks, I'll try the torch some more. Maybe MAPP would work better? Unfortunately, Delta isn't really an option at this point. Moen happened to have the vanity faucets we liked (Kingsley 6102 Antique Nickel), and we're replacing everything else in the bathroom to match...
  5. SWB

Removing Delta tub spout

I'm trying to remove a Delta tub spout. I got the spout itself off with no problem, but it turns out the spout screws onto some sort of large-diameter brass adapter, which is still on the copper pipe. It looks like it may be soldered on. I've tried pulling and twisting on it (but not too hard...
  6. SWB

Long horizontal drain pipe run clogging regularly

Huh? :confused: I'm not sure what I wrote that touched a nerve, but it whatever it was must have lost its intended meaning or tone. If this in response for my seeking more detail about slope (too much, too little, etc.), I wasn't questioning the validity of your statement; I was honestly...
  7. SWB

I did a Google search, and it looks like this occurs when a long vertical feeds into a horizontal. Is that right? Not sure how this is relevant in my situation ... I suspect most of that was donated by the previous owners. :) The house is 14 years old, and we've only lived here the last two. Uh...
  8. SWB

Update Thanks, guys, for all your help and advice! Here's an update. My wife and I completed Phase 1 of this project on Saturday: buying all the fittings we might need and tearing out the old pipe. What a stinky, messy, disgusting mess that was! Good thing we have an unfinished basement...
  9. SWB

What I have in mind is to cut off and cap the existing wye connection to the 4" pipe. Then insert a new wye to connect the regraded pipe to: Any problems with this approach? That's true; there is no reventing. Is that true regardless of how the drop occurs? In my case, almost all of the...
  10. SWB

Transparent PVC I just discovered transparent Schedule 40 PVC. As I make whatever repairs are necessary, I'm considering inserting a few short lengths of transparent pipe in strategic locations to aid in diagnosing any future clogs. Other than the higher price, are there any negatives to this...
  11. SWB

Okay, that's what I figured. I finally went down to the basement and actually measured the slopes. I also took a few pictures to illustrate the situation. This is the first length of pipe, which is about 16 feet long with a slope of about 0.2"/foot (flow is towards the camera): The...
  12. SWB

We're having problems with our kitchen sink drain pipe. It's a double sink, and the dishwasher also hooks into the drain. After the trap and going into the wall, the 2" PVC drain pipe heads down vertically about 2 feet to our basement. At this point, it makes a right angle and heads about 16...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks