Garbage disposal / P-Trap Mismatch

Users who are viewing this thread

SWB

Reaction score
I have a similar (but not identical) problem to one I've seen discussed here a number of times. I installed a newer (deeper) kitchen sink, and now my garbage disposal is lower. Most of the posts I've seen on this are from people whose disposal is now lower than their drain outlet, and the three solutions are to lower the drain outlet, get a shallower disposer, or to get rid of the disposer altogether.

In my case, the disposer outlet is higher than the drain outlet – just. The disposer manual says that the disposer outlet needs to be at least 0.25 inches higher than the drain outlet (measured center-to-center). In my case, the outlet is about 0.60 inches higher (slightly less than half a tube diameter), so according to the manual, I should be good. But everything is so close, I haven't been able to find any combination of fittings that work. (At least, not at the orange store. Maybe I'd have better luck at a plumbers supply store?)

Here are some photos (with a few different fittings) that illustrate the problem. Note that this is also a single-basin sink; it's not a double.

i-MzcB4MQ-L.jpg

The tube that attaches to the disposer outlet needs to have a flange (that a rubber grommet fits over). In the photo above, I could use a flanged straight piece and attach it to that elbow, but if those were attached to the disposal and then the J-bend, the J-bend wouldn't meet the trap arm. (There would be about a 1.0–1.5 inch gap.) If there was a trap arm that extended down a bit more, that would work, but I haven't been able to find one of those. Or if there was some way to fill the gap, but I haven't found a way to do that either. I thought about using a slip-joint extension there, but the J-bend won't accept a tube on that end (it's only compatible with the trap arm). And even if I could attach a tube there, the distance to be bridged is so short that I'd still be in the larger diameter portion of the extension tube, so it wouldn't fit anyway. And even if I could somehow get around both of those problems, I saw a post from someone who cited code stating that no more than one slip joint can appear at the outlet of a trap, so I'm still stuck.

Or, I could use a 90° flanged piece, like below, but it doesn't extend far enough from the disposal to meet the J-bend. And even if it did, it doesn't look like there's enough room for the slip joint collar.

i-V2DDnRF-L.jpg

i-XZfrDhj-L.jpg

Any suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make reversing p-traps that will lower the slip joint connection for you. Or you can make one up out of solvent glue fittings.

p-trap_reverse_dearborn.jpg

SWB

Reaction score
Satisfactory?

i-v6wzkVQ-L.jpg

I've read that the trap depth should be 2–4 inches. I measure the depth on this one as about 4.25–4.5 inches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks